Is it awkward that I have a friend who just turned 18 and I'm going to be 28?

My friend born on December 26, 2001 and me, July 31, 1992, thinks that I should be hanging with people closer to my age and that I'm too old for him. That hurts as he referring to me as an elderly. Is the age gap really that big of a deal?

Is it wrong that I want to make friends who are 18?

• ron h

There's nothing wrong with being friends, but your friend thinks you're spending too much time together.  He's interested in 17/18 year old girls.  He can't drink legally.  That age difference is fine if you're working together, maybe sometimes have lunch together at work and maybe to go to some occasional event, but not daily or every weekend. You're gonna get yourself in trouble or embarrass yourself.  HE TOLD YOU.  You're creeping him out

in a word, yes..................

sounds awkward to your "friend"

No I think it's wrong. I mean it's just a friend. I'm pretty sure you have other friends. I mean i'm almost 24 but if i did have like an 18 year old friend, that most likely wouldn't be my only friend. 

yea hang with ppl your age, they may say 18, but can be younger, you can get in triuble

If HE thinks the age gap too large.. .it's too large.

• ^^^^ most important comment. It doesn’t matter what you think or what society thinks. If he’s the one who is uncomfortable then I think that’s a sign you gotta lay off. Friendship had to go both ways, otherwise it’s just creepy 

This isn't Nambla .. look for someone closer to your age and leave the kid alone

He is not referring to you as elderly he is referring to you as a person who for whatever reason is unable to fit in with adults. and yes it is weird that you only want to be friends with teenagers

• A.J.

There are cultural differences, a difference in life's outlook, typically a financial difference, a question of how genuine the relationship is, and a society appearance factor. However, as long as both are adults, it is only up to those two people.

You have an acquaintance rather than a friend. You are intruding and your friend is being kind. I am a person you would consider elderly, but I have friends your age. The differences are accepted, and to heck with what anyone not involved thinks or doesn't think. Friendship is based on mutual respect and common beliefs and both believe it is worthwhile.

It's awkward that you are overbearing on your "friend". It's a big deal because you were told it is by the other person.

I was born on January 31, 1952 and I have friends born in the 1980s. Is that weird? No. So your situation isn’t weird either.

• ron h

yeah, but your friends are 35. They've been on their own for 15 years, Some finished college 10 years ago, married and a kid or two.  Even though you're talking about more than a 10 year age diff, your experiences are closer.