Shaun asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

Im 24, shes 17?

Im in the UK

Shes young but mature and we both love each other.

Is that ok?

• J

I don’t know about the UK but in New York where I live, 17 is legal age of consent. So unless it’s illegal where you live, I’d say it’s ok. Just make sure you treat her with respect. Don’t encourage her to do bad things and be supportive of her going to school. Most importantly, treat her parents with respect. You want them to see you in a good light. As long as you’re not taking advantage of her I see no problem. 5 years is not a huge age difference when you get older, and she’s not a child. 

She is 17, not a mature adult, leave her alone!

Can’t you find a WOMAN your own age instead of preying on a school girl/teen.

It is not ok.

Do not get her pregnant! Please.

• Anna

He's 24, theres only 7 years between them. My first boyfriend was 26 when I got with him and I was 17 but he was VERY immature for his age. Age is just a number and 17 is NOT a child.

• JuanB

I don't think anything is wrong with it.  But it likely isn't going to last.  Then again, most don't last.  But she sees you as independent, and carefree with money when compared to boys her age.  She is infatuated and idolizes you. You prefer someone younger that idolizes you,  people your age are growing up and you would rather party like the younger people do.  

The problem is in 3 or 4 years she will grow up and be more mature than you are.  You wont change and she will want to be more serious and have goals higher than you have.  Basically you will grow apart.  

This is not an Etiquette question. Move it to 'Relationships'.

In the UK a sexual relationship between a 17-year-old girl and a 24-year-old man is not illegal.The law makes no distinction about whether anyone is 'mature' or not.

Just for heaven's sake use reliable contraception.

Ultimately, this is going to come down to the connection between the two of you and possibly, the legal definition of consent depending on your local laws.  Often love defines age boundaries and while others may not understand or accept a seven year age difference, this is not uncommon.

depends on what the laws in your country are, if shes not underage then it should be okay

It's legal, if that's the question. But at 17 she's a long ways away from being able to make permanent decisions. So just make sure you don't get her pregnant as that would make the inevitable breakup for more difficult (and be horrible for the child).

She is young and NOT mature. Kids always think they are mature for their years. Which is a fallacy. Maturity comes with age.

Peace.

• Ted K

It's fine with me, I don't give a sh!t.  That being said...

She's "young but mature" (whatever that means), but what about you?  Just 'cuz you're 24 doesn't automatically mean YOU'RE mature, it just means you're older than she is.

I mean, we have a friggin' president who's almost 74, yet he's about as mature as an 8 year old.

In America that's illegal and heavily frowned upon by virtually everyone. But... guys don't mature like girls... and when you're 30 and she's 23 no one will care. And when you're 70 and she's 63, no one will care. Just check yourself. Know that she's younger and remember that and don't be a dick.

• J

It’s not illegal in all states. Age of consent varies by state but all are between 16 and 18. 17 is legal in NY