Kathy asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

Should parents take action in this case?

or at least take this seriously:

if their child were to tell them that her teacher gets mad at her for crying

How about neither and simply as the teacher for more details about what is going on. (unless of course that's what you mean by taking action or seriously)

A lot of this has to do with how old they are and how often it is happening.Some students cry to be manipulative. They may not be consciously doing it but they may have learned that if they cry some teachers will be sympathetic and give the leeway or raise their grade.

• Kathy2 months agoReport

As far as I know, the student isn't trying to manipulate the teacher. No, she's crying because she's honestly upset that the work is too difficult for her or a bunch of excitement is scaring her. I doubt a 16-year-old would regularly cry in class. The student is more like 6.

You say in a comment that the child is SIX. Don't you think it would have been sensible to mention that right away in your question???

nope..............

• JimTom

No they shouldnt, its not a big deal. It all depends why she is crying, if shes being difficult and crying in a tantrum, then i can understand why theyd get mad. Or if she cries all the time and it is disrupting the class constantly then i can understand getting mad. Im sure the teacher would have addressed any issues of bullying that may be causing the crying, so i would rule that out. Maybe shes homesick or something. Kids do need to learn to stop crying about everything, especially at school where there the important life lessons begin, unless of course its a genuine reason. I wouldnt just immediately resort to "taking action", if you cant get enough info from your daughter, then i would have a talk with the teacher and see what the story is. 

I'd certainly get mad at my daughter for crying at school, particularly as it seems she does it regularly.  I blame the parents for bringing up such a snowflake, an only child I would assume.

• Kathy2 months agoReport

Oh, so what you're saying is the child does deserve being yelled at for crying? Is that what you're saying? Hmm? Because I thought that yelling is the LAST thing you'd do if a child is crying because she's scared or upset.