My teacher wants to video call me, is this appropriate?

I’m a 15 year old girl and my criminal justice teacher who’s in his 60s emailed me on my school email today that he wants to catch up since school has been closed and will be closed for the rest of the year cause of corona virus. we talked over email then he asked for my number and said he wants to facetime, is this ok?

he said it wasn’t school related he just wants to talk as friends and update each other on our lives 

thats up to you

• Amber

Do it and have your mother or father present. Let him know they are there, then see how soon he wants to facetime you again. 

This has been a matter of much discussion on a teachers' forum I'm on. Teachers are being encouraged to try to stay in contact with students, make them feel less isolated and alone. On the other, doing video calls can be an invasion of the student's privacy. If you don't want to do this with him, request a voice phone call. If he pressures you, your parents should call the school. But please understand that many teachers are taking hours and hours of their time to try to contact every student and to help every student succeed. 

Wear a bikini top. 

Yes. There is nothing wrong with facetiming. If he then whips out his meat or asks for nudes, that's different.

Unless he's discussing school work, and then it should be a "group" thing, there is NO reason for him to want to "catch up".

The ONLY way this should be done is if your mom or dad is sitting right next to you.

The fact that you think it might not be appropriate tells you it most likely isn't.

Only on a school approved platform, and for topics relating to your coursework. Tell him you will be recording the meeting, and it will be sent to the principal of the school. See what he says.