Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Would a judge force my child’s father to allow my child to video chat/call me?

I get supervised visitation once a week because I struggled with addiction in the past. I am clean now and intend on taking him back to court for the return of my shared custody very soon. My child is two and a half and his father refuses to let me call/FaceTime with my child. If I requested it, would a judge make it to where he HAS to allow my child phone time with me while he is in his father’s custody? His excuse is “I pay the phone bill, if I don’t want to call or video chat with you I don’t have to.” Even though I’m not asking to video chat with HIM I’m asking to video chat with my CHILD. He’s doing it just to be a jerk and to strain the relationship between me and my son more than it already is.

First, just because you cleaned yourself up doesn't mean you automatically get your child returned to you! Sad misconception among lots of women. Just because you gave birth doesn't mean the child belongs to you.

The judge is going to look at the best interests of the child. Judge is going to review how the child has been doing since dad has had custody, Judge is going to look at how has dad balanced raising children while balancing work, home life, care for the child, living conditions, etc.

The judge is also going to look closely at you!

How long have you been clean? Where are you living? Do you have a job? Can you afford to support you and your child? Did you pay support to the father while you were getting clean? Do you have a car? What about daycare arrangements while you work?

Telephone and video visits are the least of the Judge's concerns. The Judge has to see if you can take care of yourself before he/she even attempts to decide if your child should remain where he is or be with you.

• Alan H

Frankly, you do not know why he objects.

He may not be sure that you ARE clean.

However, you could certainly, approach the judge and ask for the terms to be relaxed so that you can have that face time.   He will, naturally, take into account your behaviour on those supervised visits 

Visitation is meant for physical contact maintenance relations. Any additional contact is usually not allowed. With today's Skype or other methods of social media, it may be that a judge will see that as being too lenient on you, especially if it is seen as abusive or excessive. I doubt it would be granted if you already get weekly visitation allowed.

It would be up to the judge and we cannot predict what the decision might be. Unfortunately, its once again the child who suffers when parents are in conflict. Good luck, I'm on your side.

• Edna

I have no idea of why you think you could do ANY meaningful visiting with a 2-1/2 year old child over the telephone or on FaceTime - not even if the Judge allows it. 

The child needs personal visits. His attention span isn't long enough for him to engage in phone conversations or FaceTime with you. 

Possibly, but getting in front of a judge at this point is probably impossible.

• Archer

The court order is specific in "supervised visitation" and it is "you" who has the issues not your child's father for he is genuinely concerned for the safety of the child. You can request anything but the court will decide and I think the current situation is adequate until you have been "clean" for quite some time.

• Mike G

Crystal ball is hazy, ask again later.

I don't see why he would be forced to do anything during his time.

Would it be fair if you were forced to use your time by putting the kid on the phone with him?

Stay clean and your your circumstances may eventually improve. The world will not operate according to your most recent whims, though.

How would I know what a Judge would order when I know NOTHING about your past, how it effected your child, how long you've been clean?

I suspect the reason for your strained relationship with your son is you, not the child's father.

I have no idea what a Judge would order.  Once a week supervised?  You must have REALLY screwed up!  A Judge will make note of that.