promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how much does it cost to run a 30 year old refrigerator?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Buy a plug in energy meter. That will tell you exactly how much it costs you per day / week/ and month.

It looks like a standard time switch. Then you can unplug it and find other devices in your home that are power hungry.

Just unplug your fridge and plug in the meter, then plug your fridge into it, and leave it running for a month.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

a 30 year old fridge will likely last another 10 or 15 years.  A new fridge will likely last 10 years.

• Pat F85
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

It's almost always one of the 2 or three circuit boards in modern fridge's that fail.  The fridge in my garage has been plugged in and working for all but about 10-12 months since 1956.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I don’t know but whatever you do DON’T move it. Old fridges always seem to pack up when you do.

• 2 months ago

far less than the interest cost of buying a new one

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

More than it costs to run a new, energy efficient one--but if the fridge is working okay, I'd think twice about replacing it for use cost. The difference will not be significant enough for a while to offset the expense of replacing the entire thing. And there aren't too many people who would want a very old, used fridge. 

If you want newer features, then that's another issue. 

• 2 months ago

I don't know, it depends upon the company, functioning ability.

• 2 months ago

In a six or twelve k race? Kidding. But really no way to tell. Less than $40 bucks if the seals are good.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't know what you're energy rates are there, the size of the fridge, or how efficient it was when new.

I'd look up the model number and see if I could find the energy usage online.  Maybe start here:  http://www.kouba-cavallo.com/refmods.htm

• 2 months ago

Many variables, but around here probably $5 a month.

• 2 months ago

That would depend on the size and make and model of the fridge, it's current operating efficiency, and what electricity costs where it is.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.