James asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Will by bike be safe overnight?

I’ll try and make this short! But basically I have a job opportunity to earn some extra money during this covid 19 pandemic! - which is always handy considering I am off work at the moment (I’m from the UK, non essential businesses are closed).

My only concern is it’s a 2am-8am job, and I would be cycling there (it’s only 2 miles or so). And I have a decent bike lock but you hear so many stories about bikes getting stolen! 

There isn’t really a safe space for employees to keep their bicycles (when there really should be!) and it will be locked next to the shop (it’s a supermarket) but obviously they would be closed at 2am (they close at 10pm). 

But the real question is will it be safe to be left locked up (I’m going to get a lock for each wheel) outside the supermarket on the side of the building on a railing?  

Too many unanswered questions.  Is the supermarket lot well lit?  Do the police patrol it often?  Is it considered a low crime or high crime area?  Two U-Bolt locks are certainly better than one if you can't bring it inside.  But I would certainly ASK FIRST before giving up hope on that idea.  

https://youtu.be/Vw9erXJvByE

Youtube thumbnail

• martin

Thieves can cut off your locks, so bring the bike indoors somewhere, and lock it there too.

• Cathy

If it's a bad area of town it might be vandalized. With a lock on each wheel I doubt it will be stolen. Ask if you can bring it in, like another user suggested.

Ask if you can bring it in, I did when I worked in a shop and it was fine.