promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What kind of vegetable is this?

So i was given this Vegetable but i have no idea what it is, does anyone know?

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • enn
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Yes, the others are correct, it is a leek. How to use it? The top green leaves are much like green "Spring onions". The green tops have a milder onion flavor. If you make ramen soup a lot, one leaf of that plant is enough to chop finely and add to the broth for an onion flavor. The bottom part of the plant, the white part of the stem, is good for roasting with other root vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and/or beets. Cut off the bottom bit one inch up from the root fibers at the bottom. You can put that bit in a cup and have enough water just to that place where the root fibers start, and the roots will grow longer and a new green shoot of a new plant will grow! The rest of the white stem, cut off right where the green leaves are just at that green line --- cut that whole bit into 1-inch chunks and put into a roasting pan with 2 potatoes scrubbed clean, cut into chunks skins on, drizzled with olive oil and roasted in the oven at about 375-degreesF for 20 minutes. It tastes lovely with sour cream! The green leaves can be chopped and stirred into a casserole to bake with the rest of the ingredients for an extra flavor. I also make a potato-cream soup and stir in such chopped leek leaves at the end after the potatoes are mashed into the soup. One leek leaf can be chopped into bits and added to the boiling pot of lentils and rice. I cook a lot with leeks, onions, and green onions. A good cookbook can help expand your cooking. Try some "Mediterranean Dishes" by author Diane Seed and enjoy some new flavors during our country-wide "time out". Enjoy!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Barry
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It's a leek. Much worshipped in Wales. Lord knows why. You cut the root off, slice up the rest, rinse it well in water and steam or boil until tender. Larger older leeks tend to be tough. Yours is getting on a bit.

• 2 months ago

It's called leek. The edible part of the plant is a bundle of leaf sheaths that is sometimes erroneously called a stem or stalk. The genus Allium also contains the onion, garlic, shallot, scallion, chive, and Chinese onion.

• 2 months ago

It's a leek  a milder onion flavour used in soups broths and pies 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

UK answer. It looks very much like a Leek.

• Sandy
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Agree. https://www.google.com/search?q=leeks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwimyZ3Vn8_oAhWGXc0KHRHkB68Q_AUoAXoECBwQAw&biw=1360&bih=657

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.