NY Governor Andrew Cuomo says that drugs hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin are banned despite helping people with Coronavirus breathe. Why?

As much as I like Cuomo and despise Trump, I feel that many lives could've been saved if these drugs were made available to New Yorkers. 

Reports say that his brother Chris Cuomo has fallen ill, I say that he should be tested if he had these drugs in his system if he recovers because if it not fair if those with connections have them while the poor New Yorkers, mostly Black minorities, are dying. 

There is nothing to lose in using these anti Corona drugs if someone with severe Coronavirus is dying. Absolutely selfish. 

There is no such thing as a pharmaceutical drug that poses no risk of harm to anyone. 

We don't know that those drugs help.

There is a lot to loose. Taking drugs that don't actually help (sometimes even drugs that do help) can harm or kill a person.

• A Hunch

Don't live in the dark ages. We know that hydroxychloroquine helps many patients.  Kaiser thinks it helps enough to say "if you get hydroxychloroquine as a prescription for something, too bad so sad, you have what you have and we aren't giving you anymore.  it's only for covid-19 paients now."

Your information is incorrect.

NY is not allowing current patients who use hydroxychloroquine to get additional medication to avoid stockpiling (lupus and other patients)

NY allows hydroxychloroquine for covid-19 medical research/testing and hospitalized covid-19 patients.  This is the same as most states.

I don't find any information about azithromycin and Cuomo.

• John

I'm just curious - probably all of us are - what institution it was in which you received your MD?  Any honors in the process?  Got a specialty? Just curious.....

• Mike

Those drugs are for people with malaria. There is no scientific proof yet that they do anything for corona patients and Dr. Fauci says the evidence of that is anecdotal. If corona patients buy them all up, they create a shortage of what is available for malaria patients.

• A Hunch

azithromycin is an antibiotic that is often used to treat respiratory infections.  When a covid-19 patient develops pneumonia it can be bacterial or viral.  If it's bacterial than azithromycin is the drug of choice. 

• Kagome

He is doing his best, but I agree we need all governors in all 50 states to recognize the progress from these drugs. His conservative critics are anti vaccine and anti working/poor families, anti healthcare so don't buy into their over the board remarks.

Andrew and Fredo are both evidence that the nuts don’t fall far from the tree.

• Mike

Mario was a nice guy. I can't say I knew him well, but I knew him.

He surrounds himself with bad people, unlike President Trump.