Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

How far should I walk for weight loss?

My last day of work was 3/13 when the quarantine started. I’ve been walking every day since. Right now it’s a 2 mile walk and it’s all hills. I’m not talking little hills. Long, steep rollercoaster type hills is more like it. I’m not losing any weight. I’m 5’6 weighing in at 233lbs. I’m also consuming very few calories that I’m getting from veggies and protein. No carbs, no processed foods, just real food. Is my walk not far enough? It takes me 23 minutes to walk 2 miles of hills, so I’m moving, it’s not a stroll. What am I doing wrong? 

2 miles in 23 minutes is about 5mph which is honestly more like a jog (not a run, but a jog). I don't mean to doubt you, but I'm not so sure you've clocked that distance correctly. Trust me, I've been a runner for 17 years (and counting!) and when I'm not running, I'm walking. I'm 5'7" and 125 pounds and even with my small frame, 5mph up and down hills is not a walk.

Next thing to consider is how much you're eating. Creating a calorie deficit is required to lose weight but creating a calorie deficit that is too extreme is actually harmful and creates stress on your body, causing it to produce more cortisol which is a fat storing hormone. It works against you. Ideally you want to have a 250-800 calorie deficit depending on your exact goal.

• Eva

As weird as it sounds, you're probably not eating enough. You should be eating no fewer than 1200 calories a day. If you're walking 2 miles in 23 minutes, that's about 5 mph. Very few people actually can walk that fast especially uphill. Have you clocked the distance to be sure it's that far?

Weight loss is 80% diet.  Your daily walks are helping, they just don't help that much.  You might be burning a couple hundred calories.  If you want/enjoy walking farther, feel free. You can also do other exercise inside at home. Still, your diet is what will determine you weight loss.

I'd suggest you re-evaluate your calorie consumption. Make sure you are counting everything and weighing and measuring your servings.  Here are some other things to consider:

1. Set your daily calorie consumption to the BMR of your goal weight.  If you eat this number of calories your will lose weight.

2. Eat at least six cups of salad type veggies (lettuce, spinach, etc.) and another two cups of cooked or raw veggies like brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus.  Yes, that's eight cups of veggies a day.

3.  Limit your protein to about 8 ounces a day.  

4.  Watch your salad dressings and other condiments as well as your beverages for both calories and added sugars.

5.  If you are going no-carb, try actually counting your daily net carbs and keep those under 20 grams.  To do that, you will not be able to eat fruit or juice or high-carb vegetables like carrots or peas.  

6. try intermittent fasting.  Don't consume any calories after, say 7 PM. Keep the fast going until 11 or 12 the next day.  It's okay to drink water, coffee or tea with stevia or monk fruit sweetener (not Splenda or honey or sugar).  If you only go 7-7 the first time, that's fine.  Two days a week can make a different, so you don't have to do it every day.

7. Get small amounts of healthy fats from olive oil, walnuts (no peanuts) and avocado or grated cheese or butter or for fatty fish like salmon.  Your body and brain need fat.

8. Drink a whole lot of water. Coffee and tea are fine too, but switch to decaf after a couple cups.  No-calorie liquid makes you feel fuller and helps with weight loss.

9.  Give it time.