promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how do I get a usps mailbox lock changed ,, my current lock is busted, key will not fit in lock , and i can't get to mail?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The short answer is to start by speaking with a clerk at the post office. It's unclear if you're referring to a PO Box in the office, a USPS owned neighborhood box unit, or a privately owned box unit. There is a different answer/solution for each.

PO Box: These are the rented boxes in a post office. If the lock is broken, the clerk will replace it at no charge.

USPS owned NDCBU:  These are the box units that are often  found outside apartment buildings, or at the end of streets the carriers don't go down.  Since these are also owned by the post office, they will replace a broken lock free of charge. If you request a lock change because your ex won't return her key, there is a lock change fee.  When I retired a few years ago, that was $35.

Privately owned box unit:  Sometimes an apartment complex or condo ***'n will install their own box units.  They typically look the same as USPS owned ones, so you probably won't know until you ask.  Since these are privately owned, it's up to the landlord or condo ***'n to maintain and replace locks.

Again, your postal clerk can tell you which category you fall into, and how to proceed. Since the carrier uses a different lock to open the entire unit, your mail is still accumulating.  You may want to put a hold on you mail until the lock is fixed.  If you ask politely, the carrier will probably bring your accumulated mail back to the office so you can pick it up. Be prepared to show your ID.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You have to contact the post office if the box is a central style gang of boxes.

• Robert
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

See the clerk at your post office. They are about ten steps away from your mailbox and the schedule of when the offices is open and staffed is on the door on the way to your mailbox.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Not all USPS mailboxes are inside a post office.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.