Clutch issue 2006 wrx?

Hey guys, I currently own a 2006 WRX and I’m needing some advice to why my clutch may have broken.. or whatever happened

I’ve owned the car for just shy of a year, and when bought all the essential services were done to have it in tip top shape. When checking the clutch (my dads a mechanic) he said it will be needing replacing eventually, but should last around another 2 years.

So I drove it per usual, I was never an idiot, I never dumped the clutch, there was a few launches by slipping the clutch, but nothing noticeable that would cause significant damage..

Fast forward to two weeks ago, my clutch started vibrating at higher speeds, when changing gears.. I have a few little mods but nothing to where I need a ceramic clutch, so I thought it’d be fine.. then warming up the car, I was hearing small squeals as if a bearing was out etc.. then when driving that day the clutch suddenly lost its pressure, and when applying pressure to the clutch, I could hear this awful awful grinding noise, and then a few things shot off like bolts into the tranny I’m guessing.. so I immediately called a tow truck, any ideas on what it could possibly be? On idle now, I hear like a bolt or something banging against the flywheel.. and when applying pressure to the clutch pedal, their is nothing and then it clicks, the clutch fork I guess.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, thankyou.

WHY ARE YOU ASKING US? Talk to your "MECHANIC"....duh

The 'awful grinding noise + things shooting off like bolts into the tranny' doesn't sound like a clutch, it sounds like you broke something inside the transmission.

The only thing to do at this point is to take it apart (or have someone else take it apart) and see what is going on.

Dad is a mechanic, so ask him.  He knows...the clutch is gone.  It is making noises.  Oh well.  They go when they go.  You did not say you bought it new and with that ASSUME the former owner drove it like a WRX is meant to be driven....HARD.  That is the package.  Clutches are not a big deal to replace once you know how.  It wears out like brake shoes/pads.  Meaning they probably need looking at too.   The noise is usually worse than the damage.

• ponderer

Reading comprehension 101. Try it. 

As boy boy said it is most likely the thrust bearing.  The transmission will have to come out anyway so you might as well change the clutch plate while it's out.

• hart

you are a clutch driver anything can happend

• F

You don’t say what mileage the car had done. I have a 2004 on it’s original clutch but has only done 70000 miles, driven fairly hard.

All manual cars need a clutch changed at some point but when you get a new one, drive this car as it was meant to , and ignore anyone who says otherwise . 

You can where a clutch out in a few miles if you’re not good at gear changes and forget fast standing starts too often.

Unfortunately changing the clutch on a WRX is quite a long job , so be prepared for a large labour bill unless your dad can do it. It does not make sense to fit anything cheap, so an OEM one at least.

Also if it’s been tuned to more than 300bhp, consider fitting a six speed box from an STi as the WRX 5 speed is at it’s limit . 

Slipping the clutch is what wears it out faster.

• F

You slip the clutch every time you use it.

• Dan

If it was on it's second clutch already it was probably a cheap aftermarket piece. The pressure plate has probably come apart and bits of it are rattling around in the bellhousing.

Replace with an OEM kit like Exedy or LuK, do not, I repeat - DO NOT buy one of those supposed performance Ebay kits. You will regret it.

• JetDoc

Surprise! Your dad guessed about the life expectancy of your clutch and he was WRONG! You own a 14-year-old USED CAR! Parts wear out, and the clutch is a part that wears and needs to be replaced on occasion.  

• ben2 months agoReport

It wasn’t the original clutch, but yes, he may of been cocky about it, or not cared. But it’s my dad, and proving him wrong leads to drama’s of many more aha 

• arther

its worn out of course you never dropped it hard, its a turbo car if your not going to give it to it why do you drive it, don't tell bullshit you've been giving it crap and its worn out. What did you find when you pulled the clutch out?

• ben2 months agoReport

Of course I give it some, but I don’t have the money to replace a transmission etc.. and I understand how a awd car functions, so I don’t drive like an idiot, I don’t drop the clutch.. I do care about my car, their is an occasional slip of the clutch every so often.. pulling out the clutch nxt 2 wks