Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Does your parents get rid of your things randomly, without any disregards to what it is and who it belongs to?

I'm in my 20's still living with my parents. About 3 year ago, my dad took all my childhood stuff that were stored in the basement, and donated them to the thrift store without asking or telling me about it. I had some old toys, lego sets, stuffed animals and childhood keepsakes that were stored in the basement. One day, I went downstairs to search for my stuff and found out that all the stuff from my childhood are all gone! My dad is a short tempered man, I was afraid to ask him for an explanation.I remember crying for a week before I finally got the courage to ask him why he donated my stuff without asking me? He simply said, 'welll I thought you don't wan't it anymore, so I donated it. He just assume that I didn't want the stuff anymore without even asking me. He said he didn't do it on purpose and promised that next time he will ask before getting rid of my things. This it's just a one-off incident. I decide to let it go and move on. I thought after discussing this issue with him he won't do the same thing again but that's the that case! Beside from my childood keepstake and there were also some boxes of items filled with my mom's personal belongings stacked in the basement. Not long afterwards, when he decided to clear out the entire basement he gotten rid of my mother's belongings too. He donated and gave away all her clothes, shoes household items, mugs without her consent or knowledge. When she confronted him about it, he became defensive and lashed out.

Me and my mom have talked about this issuee with him years ago when he got rid of our stuff from the basement, plead him not to throw our things away again without any consent or knowledge on our part. But it happened again recently. My dad continue to randomly throw things away, without any disregards to what it is and who it belongs to? It seems like he doesn’t care or respect your possessions, he doesn’t see a problem with that, and it isn’t going to change. 

• Archer

I move out at 18 and established my own life so I didn't have that issue.

Hes not really respecting other people’s belongings, sorry to hear that. But if its s big enough problem youre in your 20s ... sounds like its time to either keep all your things in your room or move out.