Amanda asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

What is wrong with my betta fish?

I purchased my betta in January and have had them in a 2-gallon tank since February. Before that they were in a 1-gallon tank, as they are solitary and I don’t plan on getting any more right now. I moved them to the larger tank because I noticed that they were swimming very sparratically and I thought it was because of not having enough space. Ever since they have been in the larger tank, I’ve noticed they are starting to lose their original color. It started just at the tips of their tail, but now their whole body is white and has patches of blue and red (picture shown). The new tank has a heater and a filter. I also replaced their water last week and ever since have been very conscious about how much I feed them and making sure they eat every pellet I give them, as to reduce the amount of waste in the tank. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong as I’m not very well versed in betta care but I want to do my pet right and make sure that they are happy and comfortable. I’ve included a picture I took just now as I’m typing this. Thanks for the help!

What's the temp.? It should be around 78-80, the water should be a 7.0 PH like drinking water............ what's the diet??? They never have rejected my frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. or discus flake food.

well, that looks like a male, and if you have two males together thats a big problem. one of them will die. on top of that, the container is much too small, especially for two fish. im glad your tanks heated and filtered though.If their past tank was unheated and/or filtered, it could be sickness. Food can also have a say in colour and behavior of bettas. I recommend the following actions (or as many as you can do): 1. separate the fish asap 2.get them in at least 2.5 gallon tanks each 3.check the food- is it balanced? are you feeding them food made for them? often times generic tropical fish food isnt what bettas need. you can try a different food, or try giving them bloodworms as they can be very nutritious. 3. keep an eye out for major signs of illness-could this be a fungal infection? you could try treating them with medicine if you find something it could be, or if you have enough money after youve made the changes above, and they havent improved- you could always try to find a vet that would look at them for you!

just remember if you got them from a pet store, they are more prone to illness and cancer. no one can help some fish. if your fish start seeming very unhappy, arent eating, arent moving around a lot and you think their suffering too much, i sadly recommend humane euthanasia with clove oil

• Ocimom

Too small of a container.  Betta should be in nothing smaller then 5 gallons with a heater and filter and kept at temps of 78-80 degrees.  Set up a proper tank and he will be better and live longer.

If you have a male only ONE male per 5 gallons.  If you have more then one male use 10 galllons with a divider.

If you have females, they should be in groups of 5 fish in a 20 gallon tank.

I had a betta years ago that lived in a 5 gallon and I was finally able to afford a mansion for him. He was ungraded to a 10 gallon and become very lethargic. He stopped swimming and stopped coming up to the glass to see me. He was fire red but became pale. I had a cat fish in there with him so I took him out and put him back in the 5 gallon so I could use it as hospital. As soon as he was acclimated and set free in his old house he went back to the way he use to be. Within a few hours his color came back. I think some bettas love the freedom of larger tanks and some don't. 

The betta I have now was dark blue with red fins tipped with white when I bought him. His 10 gallon has a light colored pool filter sand in it with live green plants. He went from looking a fourth of July fire cracker to washed out version of it. They do color up or color down according to the environment. If he is acting normal and eating, he may just need time to adjust. I will say the rocks you have are pretty but they do trap waste and uneaten food. Bettas like to dig and make them selves a hole in the sand. If you can, replace the large rocks with sand. It is easier to clean and better on you and him. 

Them?  You have 2 bettas in there?  You can not keep 2 bettas together.

Your tank is to small.  It will be too hard to keep the temperature stable 24 7.  

You will need to do diffic ult large water changes that affect the water chemistry too much and can cause shock.  you should get test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and make sure the tank is cycled.  If it isnt cycled, then the fish are swimming in toxins. So you need to follow instructions for a fish in cycle.  

If you need more help, go to fishlore.com forum and expert people will help you.

• Raven

Bettas often change colors, especially if they have some marble in their background. I think what's happening to your betta is normal.

• patty

u need a filter.

• patty

if they are not showing signs of sickness don't worry. Its best to contact the shop where you brought them for advice

Here is another photo of them, the night that I got them as a reference to their original color.