Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Have you heard that professional steam cleaning reduces COVID-19 risk?

I work in a medical office. Every day, sick people come in our office. Let's say 100 people a day come to our 4 exam rooms. Every night, the floors are washed with disinfectant. So are the walls. Pretty much everything in the exam rooms and hall. Bathroom too. Every single day they clean the waiting room carpet and upholstery with steam cleaners and disinfectant.

I would estimate ever day 2-3 patients are diagnosed with the flu or a sinus infection. Pneumonia and COVID-19, almost every day if not every day.

The place is spotless. We are doing everything we can to protect ourselves and the patients. Not one staff member has become sick yet. For a medical office, that's darn good. We are in a COVID-19 hot spot about 40 miles from Times Square, NYC. Half that to the NYC line.

This can't be a fluke. It must be the professional cleaning. The janitor run a generator for the machine in his van, 12,000 watts, 4 cords. The heater comes inside and requires another outlet. I watched them today, this is no toy they us. The even have a 2 cord vacuum booster for long hose runs. The machine was fascinating. I am going to have my own place cleaned by them. 

Another possibility is that your masks and hygiene routine is effective.  The only way to validate your assertion would be to compare with other medical offices of the same size in your area.  Is there a correlation between steam cleaning and staff infection rates?  COVID-19 is supposed to be transmitted by water droplets.  If so, then anything reaching the carpet would be immobilized there until it degrades in a few days.  It would be inert to your staff, unless they touch the carpet with their hands, then touch their faces.

If one thing is especially odious during a pandemic is people trying to cash in on it. 'Professionally' cleaning a home which is not intended or designed to be sterile is a waste of time and money.

So...... you've got a lot of time on your hands, then?!