Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Worried about future with career driven girlfriend?

I’m dating a girl who is very career driven and ambitious. Since the age of 16, she’s worked 2-3 jobs and has managed to get a house with her parents’ help at 21.

She’s 23, very passionate about beauty and is self employed in the beauty industry and has her own business starting up. She spends 90% of her time each day doing work related stuff or working, trying to make her business work.

She’s been told by her ex’s she has no friends and is boring. She has no social life and all she knows is work which is true as I am seeing it myself.

I’m 27, became self employed as a mechanic end of last year. I studied IT in uni but had a job in IT for the past 4 years, I left end of last year to be self employed as a mechanic as it is better money and more freedom.

We’ve been together for 1 year now.

She is very ambitious / driven with her career. I feel she would always pick her career over love. We’ve spoken about this before and she said it herself. She says if she works on her career for 10 years, it’ll be solid and money will be coming in, whereas 10 years with love, it could end anytime and she’ll be left with nothing

Today, she told me a company approached her to be the face of their company promoting content for them

I’m very concerned now as I feel now she’ll put all her time on it and leave less time for us. But I’m also concerned that she’s worked hard to achieve what she loves, but I studied IT, now I’m doing something totally different. I feel like I have no real goals?

At 23 she's SUPPOSED to be putting career over love. She's still two years away from being able to make informed life decisions for the long run though so you don't really know where her priorities will be in the future. But clearly she's dedicated to making something of herself and if you're trying to stand in the way of that you probably will be left behind.

• Imp

The thing about women they don't want to date down they want to date up (they always want a man with equal or greater money) the men who use to excite them don't anymore when they make more money. It doesn't make them bad it makes them women. You have time and money that's every girls dream (so you can find somone better if she makes more money than you)!

Source(s): Donovan Sharpe.

Be happy you have a successful, goal-oriented gf. What do you want, a gf who has no drive, motivation, career, or goals and has nothing going for her in her life? Sounds like you're just insecure that she's more successful than you and that's bruising your ego. If that's true, that's not fair and not good on your part. You should be supportive and happy for her, not complaining about it here like sour grapes. If you don't like this situation, focus on bettering yourself and career and reaching your goals. Find someone more on your level, someone you feel more comfortable with. This is really not a huge problem, but you are making it out to be due to how you feel about yourself. She is not the problem here and is not doing anything wrong, you're the one who just has a problem with her being successful.