promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Register a car without title?

I bought a car in full cash from Texas from a “car dealer” they seem to have a hard time sending me the title and avoid the question whenever I ask about it. I live in Louisiana and was wondering if the bill of sale would suffice as a car title to register the car or do I NEED the title?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Check with the Louisiana  DMV. I live in Vermont, no car older than 15 years needs a title. I would not be surprised if other states have a similar law.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You will need the title. They may have lost the title. If they did lose the title or never had it to begin with they'd have to try to find whoever was on the title last and ask them to file for lost title I would imagine.

• May
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes, you absolutely need the title to "register" (buy license plates) your car.

I suggest that you file ASAP, a complaint with The Texas DMV and the Texas AND Louisiana office of consumer protection AND the Texas BBB.   Also, if the dealer is a official dealer of a Car manufacturer, such as Ford, or GM or Chrysler or Nissan, you should report the dealer to the main office of the manufacturer.   I would call and tell the dealer That you are reporting them.  Then, no matter what they say....do so.  REPORT them !   It Sounds as if your Texas dealer is a bit "shady".  Don't delay.  The longer you delay, the less chance you have of getting a title.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

• car253
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Great advice.

• 2 months ago

Get an attorney and have them contact that dealer.

• May
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

No need to spend money on a lawyer at this point

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If the dealer gave you a title application, you should be able to get a tag with that.

The dealer owes you the actual title and you need to stay on them about that. They have no reason to keep it and its unlikely its stolen.   They can be lost and take a month or two to replace.  Cannot register it without a title or title app.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No title, no registration. It's as simple as that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.