Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

Laptop question?

I have an acer laptop, I dont know what model because my dad got me it and I’m not tech nerd. It was manufactured in 2014 but wasnt turned on until 2016-17. I use it a lot. My laptop won’t charge with the charger plugged in. The charger is good not broken. How do I fix this? Do I just need to buy a new laptop battery? 

You might want to unscrew the portal in the back to see if there is even a battery THERE. My Acer did not come with one when I bought it, at around the same time you did. 

I have no battery. Therefore, no charge. It did come with an AC converter and a wall plug. That's what I have to use. Batteries for these are relatively expensive and they don't last very long. 

new battery is very likely. they only last three to five years [at most]. i've had good results with off brand models found on the internet

• Dick

Turn of the laptop. Remove the charger from the laptop. Remove the battery from the laptop. Now hold down the power button for about 10 seconds. This will discharge any components (capacitors, etc.) in the motherboard, RAM, etc. One you've done all that plug the charger into the laptop. Turn the laptop on with the power button. If the laptop comes on then you know the charger is working properly. If it doesn't come on you can assume the charger is faulty. If it's the charger simply look for the model number on it and then go on amazon.com and do a search for a new one or a "replacement" for that model charger. Chargers from Acer will be expensive but a "replacement" charger will be very reasonable. Usually under $20 or $25. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Source(s): 34 Years Computer Experience & IT Support

Model description is on the back of the laptop or on box it came in.

Should run on an AC adapter even if the battery is not  in the laptop.

If the laptop won't charge from a good AC adapter, then the socket where plug goes in is damaged. This is caused by too much sideways yanking.  Seek a repair person or shop.

Source(s): My 2006 Acer Aspire 5610-4610 still runs just fine on AC adapter.

From the timescales given I'm guessing you are right and new battery required.

Generally manufacturers claim you get about 1000 full charges or a couple of years usage.  This is generally average from my own experience and after that you get noticeably reduced capacity getting worse over time.

If the laptop turns on but the battery won't charge, you need a new battery.    If you check the bottom of the laptop you should see a plate with either a part, model or serial number for the laptop itself.  If you remove the battery, it will also have a part number you can look up to find the replacement.

• Starrysky

Laptop should run on AC adapter cord even without the battery.

Buy a replacement adapter or replace the power connector.