Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

How much is insurance to get a license ?

So I am going to try out for a license soon and my mother has made it very clear to me that there’s absolutely NO way she will put me under her insurance. The reason for this is that she is just trying to find a way for me not to be able to drive although she says I’m a great driver. Her first attempt was not teaching me how to nor letting me practice on hers. Now that I’ve learned from someone else this is her next move. I believe she just wants to keep me under her wing. I also have no other adult figure who i can ask to put me under theirs. This background information is important so no one will reply advising me to “just try to convince her” or anything else thats not realistic here (I see that happen on this website a lot). Anyways with that being said, will I be able to get my own insurance? i am in North Carolina. If I cannot get something for myself right now, when I turn 18 how will the insurance process go and what’s the cheapest way? Keep in mind I said cheapest not best because I just want to be able to get the license for right now.

Tell her it would be better off having the drivers license and knowing how to drive so that you can drive her to the hospital when she keels over.

Ah, North Carolina.  The communist licensing state!

There is a policy you can (and might have to) buy that isn't connected to any specific vehicle, but it won't help you.  It's called a non-owner's policy, and you might need one in order to keep your licence valid in your state.

But even if you buy this policy, it won't help you.  No matter how much insurance anyone buys, you still can't drive a vehicle without the owner's permission.  Driving a vehicle without the owner's permission, even if the owner is family, is called theft.

Your mom doesn't want you driving her car, you've made that perfectly clear.  You don't have your own car, and you don't know anyone who will lend you their car.  You really don't have any workable options here.

• May

For the seventy-seventh de sixteenth umpteenth time:  Insurance is NOT required to get a drivers license

• Ron

The drivers handbook of North Carolina clearly states that each driver must have Personal Liability Insurance in order to get an unrestricted license. This is where YOU call insurance companies. 

Well the deal is you can buy insurance on your own but you will "SCHIT" when you find out how much that costs.  Being under MOM's insurance, you are essentially the occasional driver (I know, it is your car and you always drive it & mom never will) and because of that Loophole of being the "occasional driver" the cost is not quite half of the one you just finished "schitting" over, but it is quite a bit less.

.No other adult will be willing to put you under their wing because you ain't family...and then they would be responsible for say what the insurance does not cover you for.  They are not about to risk their financial ruin on you.    

. It is one of those cost all of us young people had to pay up and shut up about.  You can or you can't afford it.  All insurances are about the same(maybe you save $20 between them) which is peanuts.

.Now, how to save on the insurance costs?  You drive an old BEATER OF A CAR, a 4 door stationwagon type, something with LOW HORSEPOWER and low value should you total it.  Also one with a 4 cylinder engine so you don't do much damage to other cars or people. Still, the occasional use thing is the truth if you go to school or to work(and do not use the car as part of the job) also if you do not carry passengers (passengers will sue your insurance if they are in the car if you crash)

The KBB value of the car is in the Hundreds of dollars...or not even listed so you get schit. all for it when you crash or get crashed into. You won't care because you will buy another cheap car to drive again. The other is history. Maybe in Blue this time.

PL & PD is all you need for insurance. It is the cheapest and it covers the OTHER DRIVER & THEIR CAR...OR PROPERTY.  You don't care about your wreck on wheels.  THIS IS THE MANDATORY INSURANCE.  Covering OTHERS.  They have the same insurance "to cover you".  The trick is not to be at fault for any accident.  If it is their fault then you and your car is covered(in that they need to give you enough to buy the same value of vehicle again or repair it)  Really, it is just better to AVOID crashing in the FIRST PLACE.  The chances of you really getting hurt bad is NEVER WORTH THE MONEY INSURANCE IS GOING TO PAY OUT(AFTER YOU get a Lawyer and they take their cut off the top) so you end up with the injuries which may last the rest of your life and a pittance for money...for now you can't work as a healthy non accident individual.

. Having to pay Collision coverage because you got a new vehicle is a lot of money and the coverage on your injuries is the same.  Not enough.

• car253

Some good advice.   What they are saying is get an old car so you only need liability coverage.

Rates vary.  So if you're specifically included from your mother's coverage, what do you plan to drive?  Certainly not her vehicles.

Cheapest?  Contact an insurance broker.  You can get your insurance on your vehicle.  You cannot get a separate policy on your mother's vehicle.

Why do you need insurance in order to take the driving test?

There is no insurance for being a licensed driver.   Not putting you on her policy is your mom's way of  keeping you from driving her car.  If you get your own car, you would have to get insurance for that car.   Of you want to check insurance prices, see the link below.

• car253

No soliciting.  It is against yahoo answers rules.

You don't have to have car insurance to get a driver's license however the car you drive must be insured.

Insurance is expensive for 18 year old inexperienced high risk driver's......when you turn 18 call around and get some quotes.

• audrey

No matter what you do, at 18, insurance in NC is expensive. 2 things. Make sure your care is a small one. No sports cars. Makes ridiculous insurance rates. Then go on line and get comparison rates. Pick your cheapest one. Good luck.

Are you a male or female. Insurance is way higher for males than females. 

A male age 16 to 24 pays the most because 1.  The inexperience. 2.  Their friends. Get 3 males together and odds are that the driver will speed or dash in and out of lanes. That leads to more accidents. 

If you want the cheapest, go with liability and the state’s minimum coverage. If you get into an accident and it’s your fault, insurance will cover the damage to the other driver but it won’t cover damage to your car. 

If you’re a male 18-24, it can be several hundred per month depending on your car. You can get a discount if you make the honor roll while in high school. You can also get a discount if you just graduated from college. 

For a female 16-24, you pay about 1/2 to 2/3 what the guys pay because females get into accidents less. They’re more careful because they don’t have testosterone and their friends urging them to go faster.