ET asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 2 months ago

Legal name change issues. Please help :(?

Ok so I’ve never liked my name. Since I was a little kid I’ve always wanted to change it. At 27 years old, I decided to finally do it. 

I went to the local court (Berks county, Pa) and filed all the paper work. About two weeks later, I received the stamped forms in the mail with my court date. 

The next step was to publish notices in two local newspapers no less than 30 days out from my hearing date. 

I called up two local newspapers right away. One of them was supposed to publish my notice today but they did not. I assume they will publish it next week instead, but by then, it will be less than 30 days from the court date. No other newspapers in the area are publishing again in time, so I can’t just get a refund from that newspaper and go with another. 

I’m freaking out and I don’t know what I can do. I’ve already invested so much money into this. I can’t prove that the newspaper promised they would publish in time, because the arrangements were done over the phone. 

Am I completely screwed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

It was very easy for me. I changed it from D.B. Cooper to *****     You really think I will

tell what I changed it to?

Post in "Law and Ethics" please for good answers.

• Tavy

That is an odd system, well out of date. Phone the Court for advice.

• ET2 months agoReport

I wish I could. The courts have been entirely unhelpful throughout this whole process. I’ve called for advice a couple of times in the past, and I was either on hold all day, or told to consult a lawyer. I’ve already invested to much money into this.

What a palaver. Married women every day change their names without all this hassle. You can make it official by deed poll, but the reality is, as an adult, you can call yourself what you like, providing you are not doing it for the purpose of fraud.

• ET2 months agoReport

Unfortunately, I need my name to reflect my changed name on my drivers license and other official forms, which means I have to go the legal route :(

Wow you must have some very antiquated laws where you live, I changed my name in 1989, I just walked up to the counter in my lunch break and asked for the form, I filled it in and paid the fee and the whole thing took no more than 10 minutes. I have never seen a newspaper notice for a name change, I think that was something they used to do back before they had computers, are you sure you got the correct information, I would be amazed if it was still done like that anywhere.

• ET2 months agoReport

Yep, unfortunately, that’s the law in my county. *sigh*