If you are quarantined, do you bother making your kids get dressed in the morning?

We are all in quarantine because one of my sons got COVID-19.  I work from home now and the kids are effectively getting homeschooled.  The neighborhood is too densely populated to go outside and still keep six feet distance from everyone.  And our neighbors are mostly elderly

Is it worth the effort getting dressed in the morning?  Is it OK if we all just hang out in sleep pants all day?  

• 1 week ago

Really? And you're a parent? Can't make a decision, can you? Maybe it's time to start considering you're someone's mom. I don't think anyone is affected or bothered by whatever you wear.

You do you, but in my house it is still business as usual. We all get dressed, we all do the chores and carry on as if we were able to be with other people. I just don't like the routine to be broken, as it is too hard to re-establish once things get back to business.

Keeping to routines actually prevents boredom (and depression).

after the first 2 weeks, sure. but after that, i started feeling like a slob!

• Edna

I consider anyone who wants to hang out in their sleep pants all day long, every day, during a quarantine, to be a complete slob!  Get up and get dressed, and show  a little self-respect for yourself and for the members of your family.

I have three adolescent children and I shudder to think of what our house would smell like if they didn't shower and get properly dressed in the mornings. On the weekends, like many other parents, we lounge around. But for the most part, showering and getting dressed helps to maintain a bit of normalcy for the kids, as another poster said. 

• edward

getting changed and taking a shower is an appropriate action in this time

That is up to each family to decide how they want to handle their time at home.

I have seen some "experts" suggest that you should still maintain some kind of "order" and "routine" to your day.  That would mean getting up at a certain time each day and following a daily routine.  One "expert" did suggest that  you should still follow all "grooming" routines for dressing, brushing teeth and hair, etc......  It is suppose to help maintain a sense of purpose and well being while being stuck at home.

So - things like getting dressed, having breakfast at a certain time, making beds, and having a daily schedule for when school work and work from home activities will happen is suppose to be a "good thing" to do.

My house is still following all normal routines - minus going out for those of us who work at places that are closed.  (personally - I work at a needed business, so I still leave the house - the rest of my family doesn't)  

• Faithe

Since there's no REASON to dress to go out, I don't see why they should do it.  Let them be comfortable.  As for you, if you have a husband still at home during the day, I would also dress comfortably but attractively.

• DON W

I see nothing wrong with it.  Might as well be comfortable provided you are doing what is needed.  It also reduces the amount of laundry you need to do.