Don asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Is it legal to adopt another adult?? My wife has n older child that has become like a daughter to me..What are my instructions?

An adult adoption may occur once the potential adoptee reaches the age of 18 or older. At that time, the only consent required is that of the adult wishing to be adopted and, of course, the person willing to adopt.

• LizB

It is, but there are some very specific guidelines, and a judge will want to know your reason why. The best thing to do would be to consult with a family law attorney in your state.

Talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law. 

We adopted our oldest daughter who became part of our family as a teenager after she became an adult and could consent to her own adoption. 

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • Lita

Check the laws for your state. Some allow adult adoptions others do not. Once you know if it's legal you can start by looking for a lawyer who deals with adoption to guide you through the process and help you prepare the court documents necessary to make an adoption go through. 

I think it shouldn't be a problem but I am no lawyer, it is perfectly reasonable to adopt a child you love regardless.