Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Why would Anyone utilize their own talent, effort and time to write a book as a Ghostwriter. I am a freelance writer but this puzzles me.?

As well as the money, some ghostwriters like the fact that they can leave someone else to do the other stuff that you have to do these days to make a book successful. (Tours, book signings, interviews, chat shows - basically the business of selling the book to the public.)

• ocalafarms2 months agoReport

You apparently know what a ghostwriter is. Others on this forum hadn't a clue. I was asking because I had ghostwritten my first novel. Personally, I regret it but I understand the benefits.

Just as the cash, a few professional writers like the way that they can leave another person to do the other stuff that you need to do nowadays to make a book effective. (Visits, book signings, interviews, talk appears - fundamentally the matter of offering the book to the general population.)

• JOHN B

LMFAO. You should be puzzled! Look at your avatar. DUHHH!

I should imagine that most things puzzle you.

• Tina

For the money.

• Tina

I shall bear that in mind and go instantly and sell my novles direct to a publisher. Yes. Right.
      Ghost writing autobiographies is more common than writing other people's novels, surely.

• Andrew

What's so puzzling about it? People who hire a ghostwriter normally do so because they strongly believe that the finished product will turn a profit, thus making the expense of hiring a ghostwriter to produce the book a reasonable one. Therefore, ghostwriters are generally paid pretty handsomely for their work. Because the person hiring them is convinced that there's a market for the book, they tend to pay a decent sum for having it written. 

The two types of people who most commonly employ ghostwriters are A) authors who have already made a name for themselves and are looking for someone (or for a group of people) to produce content for new books, and B) people who have achieved some degree of fame for one reason or another who think that they could turn a profit from attaching a book to their name.  

It's true that in nearly all cases ghostwriters are paid a flat fee and don't receive the same benefits that other authors do when they sign contracts with a publisher, but that doesn't mean that it's not a profitable line of work to be in by any means. The ghostwriters who are hired to produce chapters that will appear in the upcoming novel of some best-selling author are earning a lot more than struggling writers looking to break out with their debut novels. Ghostwriting the biography of some celebrity will lead to a much bigger payday than producing original material if the author producing that original material is just another unknown writer as they're a dime a dozen. 

Are you insinuating that there's no honour in ghostwriting? I don't agree with that argument. Writing is a job, and like it is with anything else, paid work is paid work. Ghostwriters are providing a service. What's wrong with that? Actors and actresses employ stunt doubles and body doubles who don't get their names into the opening credits. What's wrong with writing a book and allowing somebody else to attach their name to it so long as you'e being compensated for your time and effort? 

The wide majority of authors are not earning enough from writing to be able to live off of what they make. If you're an author who's able to earn a living exclusively from writing, and you happen to be a ghostwriter, then I'd say you're lucky, not dishonorable. 

Besides, for every idealistic author who thinks ghostwriting is immoral or violates some nonexistent code there are ten thousand who would join a stable of ghostwriters on salary tomorrow - and one hundred thousand who would write a book for someone in the music industry or somebody involved with sports if the money being offered was decent.  

Why do people agree to ghostwrite for somebody else? Because they are being paid, and it sure beats working in a cubicle or stacking crates in a factory or something.   

• Speed

One of the people high on the Books & Authors roster, even though she left what, four years ago? Five? Anyway, she's a ghostwriter by trade.

She has a good contract stating what exactly she does, when she is paid, what happens if the client isn't happy with her work, how many rewrites the client is buying, all the what-ifs a good attorney can come up with.

And she sits down to write, with a guaranteed income in the five figures for a few months' work. Depending on the public figure, the ghostwriter may earn more than the celebrity, and she's paid without any contingencies like whether the book is actually published or how much it sells.

To be frank, the gross errors in your question make it certain you couldn't ghostwrite.

I guess because it's a guaranteed sale?

I've ghostwritten blog posts (and yeah, I was a bit surprised that not all bloggers write their own posts) and it was easy peasy, plus it paid okay.

I wouldn't ghostwrite a novel, but I could see myself ghostwriting a biography or something similar.

For the paycheck, obviously. To write something sellable, you need a compelling story. Not only do you need to have some writing talent, but you need to invent memorable characters, put them into a minimally passable plot and make a good story out of it, something people want to read.

Having a real person with a story people want to hear come to you and say, 'Write my story for me...' what better way to make some money as a writer? All you have to do is the research to verify the things you are told that can be proven true or not, and then write. I would think that would take a LOT less time and effort than creating a selling novel.

For the challenge; for the money ...