promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 2 months ago

How much are you supposed to put on the collection plate?

Isn't it 10% of what you make? If you give 1dollar or 3 isn't that wrong? Are people who live in the church rich? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I would never put ten percent of my income in the collection plate. Put in what seems reasonable to you. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

The word tithing means ten or ten percent. I can't find any passage that says God demanded any percentage of tithing. However, he does say that he loves a cheerful giver.

• ALBERT
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

That is between you and God or what your conscience tells you. 10% is the minimum for someone who is working on his relationship with God. I understand God likes consistency. Yet in case you are really poor the little you give can have great value in the  eyes of God. So I guess listen to what your conscience tells you to do!

• Common Sense
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yeah, throwing guilt into this is what it is all about.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

All I know is that it is not a plate you are to TAKE FROM....Learned that the hard way...yuppa,yuppa.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

They might "want" 10% of your income, but most of us can't afford that.  I give what I can afford, usually $5.00 or $10.00.     

If you can only afford a dollar (or even a few dollars), that will still be appreciated by the church.  Every little bit helps... Better they get something, than nothing.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

|I would put some steel washers on the plate.

• 2 months ago

The Bible says to give as you have purposed in your heart. So you don't have to give anything if you don't want. When you give you are giving to God. If you give because you have to or are supposed to then you are probably just wasting your money. Give your money to God because you want to.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You don't have to give anything if you don't want to or can't afford to. There is no scripture anywhere in your book that says you have to give money to the church. What that money is for is to help the church pay it's bills; electric, heat, air conditioning, some churches host meals for the less fortunate and things like that - the money patrons give supports all of that, it keeps the church running, keeps the lights on.

...buys the speaker (Reverand, Pastor, Priest, etc) a car and pays their salary. Members of covenant are paid positions. Some positions are volunteer and not paid but the person who gets up and speaks at mass (or whatever you refer to it as)...that's his job to speak to you all. It's a paid position, they get a salary.

If you thought it was all free you're mistaken. A church is a business just like anything else. Churches are not exempt from electric and heating, water and sewer bills, mortgage and property taxes and things like that.

• ...Show all comments
    • Common Sense
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You are delusional. Cash offerings do not go to God, they fund the business of having a place to go and worship. Could you have been brainwashed?

• 2 months ago

There are some mega churches that are rich but there are many more where the pastor has to have a second job to make ends meet. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tithing is 10%.  It's generally not put in the collection plate, though.  It's normally handed to the pastor, priest, bishop, whatever by way of a check as it is tax deductible and a check insures it goes to the church and not into someone's pocket.

You don't have to be rich to pay tithing.  My family growing up wasn't rich, but we always tithed.  My family now is a bit better off, and we tithe.  10% isn't that much.  In some states, it's only a couple of pennies above sales tax.  

You know, Oprah tells people that even if they don't belong to a church, no matter how much they make, they should set aside 10% for charity.  In so doing, you exercise control over your finances instead of your finances exercising control over you.  It's all about budgeting.  What's more, what goes around comes around.  

When people give selflessly to a cause that they care about, it does comes back to them in a thousand ways, in goodwill, in personal connections that create opportunities and open doors, a door to a better job or to a career from someone who sees that your moral fiber, your character, and that you are responsible and that you give and don't only take.

Oprah's got a whole book about it.  You should read it.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

We don't belong to any church and never will, but we do donate up to 25 percent of our income to selected (non-religious) charities annually.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.