Danica asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Is biking 20km min a day good?

I want to start working out more and when the weather is nice I want to be able to use my bike more. I will be doing minimum 20km with quite a bit of elevation change on my ride. In total I will be going down by 100m and than having to climb up about 110m to get back to where I started. will this be a good workout for me? I hope to make this my base ride and do min this daily. 

Yes, it is good for health.

• Carlos

Get out and enjoy the fresh air while any exercise is good for your health .

sounds good as a starter. I've started the year on this sort of ride, and will work up to ~60k, covid permitting.

20 Km is good. I typically start at around that far in the spring and work up to more through the season. A single 300+ foot climb is enough to make you notice, but not terrible.

Yes, but a competition cyclist will need a lot more distance.

I'll ask you a question or two.  #1) Ever heard of a "bad exercise"? 🤔 #2) When the weather is nice?  What are you waiting for?!  I've ridden in temps well below the freezing point with the right cycling gear (attire - clothing).  20 kilometers is only about 12 .5 miles.  That's a good start.  But don't get the idea that 20 km a day is outstanding or anything.  I rode 20.25 miles the other day (32.5 km) and I'm OLD!  

Start slowly...don't try to be "Jane Pro" on day one.  But gradually build on it week-by-week.  Bicycling.com is full of free advice & training tips.  Check them out on the internet.  Prime example...  Work on CORE STRENGTH when off the bike.  https://www.bicycling.com/training/a29577479/core-...  

Want to get better at climbing hills?  Check this out...  

https://youtu.be/zam74qlzGtQ

Youtube thumbnail

The only way I could see it being 10 meters more in elevation going up is you're taking a different street back up.  Regardless 110 meters in elevation over 20 km isn't even a 1% grade.  It'd be practically like being on level flat ground.   There are clineometers apps one could download onto a smartphone.   To be a true work out climbing 20 km on a 10%+ grade or 40 km of rolling hills with 20%+ grade hills would have you feeling it.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.