Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is it possible that stay-at-home orders will last until August or later?

My greatest worry is not having access to campus/lab facilities. I already had to postpone graduating, as I couldn't complete my master's thesis without using human subjects in my study. 

I realize none of us can say for certain, and we can only speculate at this point. Thank you for the well thought-out answers. It's very much appreciated!

There are a few points I believe are crucial for considering this question. I don’t know the answer, but have had this discussion with a few friends. So, draw your own conclusions.

-this is uncharted territory for the whole world

-While USA can say we’ll beat this by June, May w/e....how? The only way to truly stop this in the USA alone is close states. Let’s states deal with their cases alone and once everyone is accounted for: go back to normal life.....

Not that simple. 

-how do we know it won’t come back for each individual state? How do we trust that other states are doing their part to contain? Which hasn’t been the case

-let’s say we DONT close the states. State governors/officials would have to come to an agreement across ALL 50 states and work together to combat the virus. Follow the same protocol etc. (I don’t see this happening because every state official has pockets they don’t wanna lose money for) 

-Economic interests unfortunately will rule this. Meaning, those in power will do to help others in power ($) I don’t think they care about the lives that are being lost as much as they say they do.

-then there’s the rest of the world! Poor underdeveloped countries what? Do we just forget about them until they no longer have cases?

-the USA needs other countries. That’s the cash flow of the world. So how can we just cut them out for the time being? I by no means support this. I think the world should take this as a universal sign to help eachother, but we know that’s probably not going to happen. But how else do we fix the hole the economy is going to fall into?

So, do I believe this can go till August: yes. Maybe even longer if states do not start being stricter about containing the virus and it’s people and stop hosting freaking social events that bring in $. What good is your state going to be when everyone is dying? (I know this sounds morbid but it seems like this is the ‘logic’ some state officials are using)

So either more months of social isolation or a vaccine comes through quicker than expected. But out of all these points I’ve made....which one do you see happening? (Honest question)  

in a word, yes...............................

• Dave

It will last as long as it takes for Socialists to destroy the economy.

Possible? Sure.  Likely? No. Of course, it is more likely that some universities will choose to keep their campuses empty over the summer and focus on students returning in late August.

You have to remember that the stay-at-home orders are actually separate from individual universities decision to close their campuses.  Yes, the stay-at-home orders supersede the other decisions, but a campus or university system can still decide to remain closed even when the stay-at-home order is lifted.  

When those orders will be lifted will depend of the efficacy of those orders to flatten the curve as well as how long it will take for the medical community and the supply chain to be able to deal more effectively with those infected.

• cool

I expect two years of lockdown personally, I know this is pessimistic.

The stay at home will last at least 30 days and probably 60 days after all the Governers of all the states join the stay-at-home mandate. That timeline could be modified if the Administration gets testing going and we can identify carriers and the infected.

The virus will follow a predictable curve.  The number of victims will double every so many days--I think it's three days for this virus.  So it's an exponential curve going up, steeper and steeper.  It gets to a peak, and then it's the same curve backwards--down initially very fast but as the curve flattens out it will take longer to get rid of the last little bit.

Based on where we are on the curve, I think the prediction is that it will all be over by the end of June.

OTOH, if you follow the news every day, it drives me crazy how often they recalculate things like this.  The predictions could be totally different next week.  Or tomorrow.

August seems way out there.  It's just hard for me to imagine this could go from March to August.  Of course, a couple months ago, who would have thought it would even happen?

• Bro Jest

If by "all over" you mean permanently, I think you're probably wrong. 
      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETE682OWkAEchCy.jpg

Yes it's possible. lf cases don't start to go down by JuIy, l think they wiII accept that it's too late to controI it. They wiII possibIy keep up the Iockdown for a whiIe so as not to fIood the heaIthcare system when everyone starts going back to work, schooI, shopping, etc. But l think a worst case scenario wouId not Iast too much Ionger past August. The new stimuIus Iaw wiII provide the unempIoyed with assistance for the next 4 months as of now if they need it, so the economy for sure is expected to be in a rough patch for at Ieast that Iong.

Yes. Things aren't looking prettier, especially in America

I sure hope not.