Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

I found out that my daughter watches porn. Advice?

I am a single mom with a teenage daughter (16). Long story short, while she was at school one day, I needed to transfer some files from my computer for work. I figured she had a flash drive in her room that I could borrow. Well I found the flash drive, but certainly not school related files on her drive if you get my point...

I was surprised because I wasn't expecting that, but honestly wasn't upset at all. She's an honor roll student, athlete, and just a nice kid. I would be concerned if this was affecting her behavior or her social engagement, but she is VERY responsible. In honesty, as single mom, I regularly watch and enjoy porn myself. Husband and I divorced a few years back. My daughter sees him very regularly.

I'm not upset that she watches, but am I required to confiscate or confront her about this since she is so young? I would be an absolute hypocrite if I gave her any lecture on why she should not be watching this material, as I have been able to responsibly enjoy watching for years. She clearly is being responsible and enjoying herself.

Lmao there's so many problems with this story that it's just laughable at this point.

Obvious troll. She would not be in school in the first place since schools are shut down due to the corona virus. Also if you were serious then you wouldn't have been putting such an emphasis on 'responsibly' watching porn, since that is the standards, watching it responsibly, and those who watch porn to an unhealthy degree and who can't live a normal life due to porn are an exception to the rule.

I would be most worried she left the flash drive out for you to use 

this careless of her

• Alan H

You have given the example of watching porn

She has followed your example.

Pity about the degradation of those who are shown on it.

But, the way a twig is bent, so the tree will grow 

You're actually surprised about this? There is free porn all over the internet. And your daughter at 16 is a sexual being. Not sure why you are asking this question at all.

maybe you should take away her computer

I don't think there is anything you need to do in this situation. I actually understand your concern and see why you are asking this unlike these heartless idiots on here. You are concerned that you now know your under 18 daughter is in possession and viewing sexual material intended for 18+. Its not the concept of a horny teen watching porn (we all know that every teen does). It's the fact that you now know and are curious if there is anything that you need to legally do. I think you are totally fine in this situation and should allow her to have fun and explore, as you said, this isnt having a negative impact on her, and as long as the material isn't outright disturbing or gross, nothing to be concerned about.

• ?

Fake news. Teenagers have no idea what a flash drive is. It's like a phonograph to them.

You are clearly new to parenting to believe that you would be an absolute hypocrite to give her a lecture. Try again troll.

As a man who raised 2 daughters and has watched my share of porn...

I think it’s an opportunity to talk with her about it, in a non-judgmental way.  I think it’s important for a teenage girl to understand that real life sex isn’t like porn.  Porn is chiefly marketed towards men. It’s often degrading and objectifies women.  I wouldn’t want my daughter to think that she is expected to act like a pornstar when she decides to have sex (nor would I want my son to think that women should act like pornstars in real life).  Have a frank discussion with her about how sex in a loving relationship (the only kind of sex you ever want her to have) isn’t like porn, and she needs to have more respect for herself in a sexual relationship than female pornstars, who are getting paid to do all that stuff and probably wouldn’t do it otherwise.