How do I disinfect my mail and newspapers?

• Mr. P

Stop getting newspapers - use the online versions instead.

I have a plastic container outside for post and deliveries.Virus lives on paper for 24 hours and on plastics (tape or plastic bags) for about 72 hours.I am not that interested in my mail to die for it, so I just have 4 boxes in the hall. New mail goes in the first box, and everything moves along each day until I open it on day 5. Then the empty box goes back to day 1.This leaves time for the virus to die naturally, and is a simple quarantine.Wear gloves to open the door and take in mail, then disinfect door handles.

There are exceptions-  fresh flowers or frozen groceries. If you can't delay these items then treat as infected, use bleach solution or treat as potentially infected for a few days and don't touch them.

Bin exterior wrapping if possible as the contents will probably be ok if they have been packed a few days ago.

Just pretend you are handling RAW SEWAGE. 

People tend not to touch their face UNTIL THEY HAVE REALLY WASHED THEIR HANDS HARD.   Then it is OK.

Microwave will disinfect mail! Leave news paper outside for several hours in the sun if you can or simply remove the outer page and discard it. The chance of the inner pages being touched by hand is very remote because the printing and folding is done mechanically...….Your welcome!

You should not need to disinfect them. If you are worried, you can pick them up and handle them while wearing gloves, then leave them in direct sunlight for 12 hours before opening. The virus does not live long (or even commonly) on paper. 

Fire usually helps.

Do you disinfect mail and newspaper every other day?

It didn't just start getting germs to weeks ago...

They are very unlikely to be infected.  You can't "disinfect" something that wasn't infected.

But if you really want to sterilize them, use a pot or an iron and use steam.

You can also put them in a 200F oven for a few minutes.  Some people have to do this with their newspapers because it contains sulfate that people are allergic too.

There is no need to. Don't get carried away.

With fire.......

Let them set for 4or 5 days. Newspapers are the hardest because they can be so large.

.

With regular mail, I slit the envelopes open and extract the content with a pair of tweezers. I assume the contents are the least likely to be contaminated so I just set the contents aside. I toss the envelopes in the trash and then wash my hands. Only then do I look at the contents to see what it is and how to handle it.

Set fire to them. Or wear rubber gloves.