John
John asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Is the book "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman worth reading?

I heard from someone I know that it's like an "adult Harry Potter" If I'm a Harry Potter fan would I like it? I saw that it's a trilogy. Do I have to read all three books or can I get back just from reading the first one?

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure that I'd describe it as Harry Potter for adults.  That's a common description, possibly because it involves a college of magic, but the similarities end there.  The trilogy (and yes, like HP, you do have to read all of them for the full story) is about growing up an dhow magic complicates things.  The characters are initially pretty unlikable.  That's part of the point.  They're selfish young adults who react instead of thinking, and many of their problems are self-created.

That being said, the series is good.  And for once, the TV series is even better.  I'd advise trying either the first book or the first few episodes of the TV series, which is available on Netflix, to get a feel for it and go from there.

• Tina

Borrow a copy from your local library, get a used p/back from Amazon and read a few chapters.

No one here knows your taste in books, so they can't possibly know if you will like it or not. And if you don't, the Book Police are not going to come round and insist that you read the whole trilogy.

It's quite safe to pick up a book and glance through it to see if it's for you.

• John

Haha, well I am planning on getting it out from my local library (I refuse to buy books from Amazon, only local bookstores or B&N). But because of the virus my library has been closed for almost a month. I don't know when they are going to reopen it.