promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

What would it be like for astronauts if the gravity in the space station was 1% Earths gravity?

If they did that spinning thing.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

That spinning thing could induce Gravity

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Dizzy and disorienting.

• ANDY
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Actually, gravity at the ISS's altitude is 90% that on Earth's surface. So here we are not talking about a no-gravity condition at all. The weightlessness is due to the continuous falling of the Station but without reaching the surface of the globe for it is round. Should its speed decrease just a little bit (because of the thin albeit present atmosphere at that altitude), then the ISS would start to fall gradually on Earth. This is why continuous thrusts are applied to the station in order to maintain its correct distance from the planet. On the other hand, an abnormal increase of the station's speed would send it away from Earth and might be very difficult then to keep control on the ISS and pull it back to its correct orbit again.

A 1% spin is negligible compared to what the astronauts are already facing up there (the above thrusts I wrote of) and, for instance, the change in the  "weightlessness" owing to the orbits not being perfectly circular..etc.

• 2 months ago

The problem with spinning space stations  as small as the ISS is that it would affect the astronauts' inner ears and give them motion sickness.  Whether or not a spin rate that would only simulate .01g would be enough to have that effect I don't know.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

1%?   I'm not sure there's much benefit in spinning the ISS for such a low return... That's a lot of added complexity - and, the idea of the ISS is to provide a test bed in a zero-G environment. 

• 2 months ago

they are still near earth...i think their gravity is a few percentage

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.