Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

What’s up with feminist opinions on child custody laws?

I always thought they opposed them on the basis of automatically deeming childcare as the mother’s job but I could be wrong. 

But doesn’t that empower men and deny women of their privilege to which feminists ended up advocating for? Isn’t that what anti-feminist MRAs want?

Also childcare is traditionally feminine, feminists want to empower femininity, so why are they discouraging mothers from it engaging in it?Do feminists contradict themselves here?

That isn't really a focus of feminists. I'm a feminist and think the child should ideally be in joint custody but in most cases men grant women sole custody before a court case is even initiated.

Feminist groups have actively opposed shared parenting.  In addition to getting the child, the woman often gets the house and notable child support payments.  Shared parenting often means the mother has to contribute equally to housing and child support.   Feminists don’t want that.   

"What’s up with feminist opinions on child custody laws?"

The mainstream feminist organization NOW made their position absolutely clear when they published their resolution from the National Organization for Women’s national conference back in 1996.

I am of the firm opinion that it does their image (NOW) a great disservice to be seen to be fighting on the side of inequality.

-NOW Opposes Equal Rights for Fathers-

You can read the whole declaration here:

https://nationalparentsorganization.org/blog/20980...

And a fitting quote from the link:

"And, speaking of dads, NOW has not a single good word to say about them. If we searched the world over, could we find a decent, loving father? Not according to NOW. No, groups like the National Parents Organization are most closely akin to men who batter their wives/partners."

.

Idk, yo;

I tend to truly think any1 that likes or sides

w/Feminazi ideology has no kind of common

sense but then again I'm really not sure on that

either, :)

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()