promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can a 19 yr.old college student receive child support directly from the responsible parent?

I am in my first year of college and my custodial parent is still receiving child support for me. I've asked that it be given to me but they refuse. Is there any circumstance where the responsible parent can direct payment to the child and not the custodial parent?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Child support NEVER goes to the child.

If the custodial parent is still receiving support, its because they are receiving arrears that were still owed to them

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

No, child support is never owed to the child, unless the custodial parent dies and the money goes through the estate to the child.

• 2 months ago

As far as I know, you are nineteen, grown-up and an adult, thus you are entitled to the child support they receive. Except if they are still looking after your child. (instead of you.)

Peace.

• 19 is not grown up nor adult. Nice try though. 

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. The purpose of child support is to help the custodial parent to defer the cost of rising a child. Child support never goes directly to the child.

• John
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

A black man in Atlanta told me, child support is the new slavery.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Generally speaking, no. You'd have to file a Petition with the Court where the non-custodial parent resides, asking for a hearing...but unless the custodial parent is shoving the money straight up "their" nose or vein, it's unlikely to change. 

Those saying child support ends at 18 are not necessarily correct. It varies by state and more than anything, is determined by the terms of the Divorce Agreement if there was one. 

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The responsible parent needs to get their lawyer involved.

• 2 months ago

There shouldn't be any child support in your circumstance.  Child support ends when you turn 18 unless you are still in high school, then it ends the day you graduate high school.  

College is completely elective, neither parent has any legal obligation to support you once you're in college, and over 18 years old.

• Nekkid Truth!
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Non custodial parent may be in arrears..  Arrears do not dissapear just because a chikd turns 18

• John
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

What is your major and minor?

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, child support is paid by one parent to the other and normally until they are 18 yrs old, still in f/t education or if there is back payments still due.......

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. Child support ends when you turn 18 or graduate high school, whichever is later. The only exception is for dependents with a disability.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.