Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 2 months ago

Which of the following groups was most immediately affected by the Gadsden Purchase?

the point of the purchase was to acquire the best railroad route from El Paso westward to Los Angeles.  This was far less steep, and thus less costly to operate, than the more northerly route that goes through Flagstaff, AZ [if I recall my railroad geography, there is a nasty 6 percent grade, several miles long, on that northerly route which requires multiple pusher engines to get a train up and over eastbound].

One assumes this was a boon to the Southern California business community, SoCal shipping interests, and the Texas business community ... not so much to southern or central Arizona or southern New Mexico as those areas are exceedingly hot in summer and did not really take off, growth wise, until after widespread a/c became financially feasible in the 1950s.

Source(s): grampa -- used to live in Phoenix. Train lover since I was a kid a LOONG time ago.