Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 months ago

I have a full-time job but also am a Realtor (1099) in NYS, do I qualify for unemployment?

I work full-time and also am a self employed Realtor as my part-time job.  Because of this shutdown of all non-essential businesses in NYS, it has completely halted and shut down my Real Estate Business.  The stimulus package for the first time, allows  all self employed/independent contractors eligible for unemployment insurance.  Am I eligible from collecting unemployment because my Real Estate business has been shut down, even though I still do have a full time job ?

• Eva

Probably not. They've never covered second jobs in the past. If you had 2 part time jobs and got laid off from one, they didn't pay.

• Judy

not if you're still working for your ft job

You can apply for unemployment.

Depending on the reduction of income, you may or may not be eligible.

If your primary job, pays over the NYS maximum benefit, there would be no benefit in applying, 

If you are still working full time, no.

If you still have a full-time job, I highly doubt you would qualify for unemployment benefits.

Unemployment benefits are not intended to replace income from your side gig.