Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

What should I do about this problem I have with my father. My father (age 75) is in bed with the Conrona Virus. I (age 34) am staying by my?

Parents home to help my mother take care of my father. His Dr prescribed the Plaquenil medicine & extra strength Tylenol to keep his fever down. 

The problem is he argues with me every time I remind him to take his medicine. He says he wants to take a smaller dose. I feel hurt & angry that I have to argue & or beg him to take the proper dose of medicine. Sometimes I feel like going back to my house & forgetting about him.

Gert

My father isn't in the hospital because his Dr said he can stay home if he takes the prescribed medicine.

Also he is much more comfortable at home.

You should persevere because if you did give up and he didn't make it you'd never forgive yourself. This is the time to put our ordinary annoyances aside and just do what must be done.

Contact your doctor and ask that the Tylenol be dispensed in liquid form. Put the proper dose of Tylenol in his food.

I hope you are staying at your parents house while you care for your sick father because coming and going to and from his house is likely that you are going to contract this virus and spread it to everybody you're in contact with. So please don't be stupid and please don't be selfish and please self quarantine at your parents house.

• marys.momma

You could crush the extra Tylenol in some applesauce or another soft, appealing food. You could ask your dad why he would like a lower dose.  Doctors seem to favor Tylenol (or acetaminophen, its generic equivalent) because in normal doses it has the fewest side effects.

Nothing to do with Etiquette. Move it to either Health or Family.

maybe you should let your mom take care of him

First, you shouldn't be going back and forth to you home.  You need to be in total quarantine from now until two weeks after your dad is fully recovered. It is very unsafe and unfair to others for you to be going anywhere.

As for your dad, get a thicker skin and or stop trying to force him to take his meds.  Your dad feels like crap and is scared and probably doesn't enjoy any of this. Side-effects from the Plaquenil can be severe. If he is having side effects  he can talk to the doctor who prescribed that medication to determine if he is a person where the risks outweigh the potential benefits. 

Your father is also an adult and if he wants to suffer through the virus without medication, he is free to do so.  Neither you or your mother or his doctor can force him to do it.   

Your dad could be embarrassed that his child is taking care of him.  He doesn't want you to see his vulnerability.  Have your mom take care of the medication.

First of all, thank you for being there for your parents. Your dad is probably very scared right now, he may say otherwise, but I would imagine, he is. In his mind he may see the dosage size as indicitive of the severity of the virus, and in taking less, may be trying to tell himself that he isn't as sick as the doctor said. When you give him his medicine, just tell him the amount was not up to you, it was given by the doctor, and you cannot change that. That way, he won't see you as the reason the dose is so large, and he may also be more willing to take it if he understands that it was given by a person of authority. Either way, hang in there, it will get better. Take care and stay safe.

Ask your mother she knows him better than you do.

• audrey

Say ok grandpa

Then use a bigger spoon. Same dose, makes him think he won.

• Mark

As a caregiver myself to my stubborn father, you learn to get over your resentment and follow the Doctor's orders, which is what you are doing. He is mostly mad at his situation and not at you. So, you gotta get tough with him but nice at the same time. You'll catch on how pretty quickly.