Do I get paid for self isolating during COVID-19?

Hey so I’m 21 years old, I live in the UK, I am a key worker as I work in food retail (coop), I live with my mum, she is classed as a vulnerable person as she’s got asthma and she’s 62, I don’t want to risk catching it from work and passing it on to her so I’ve been self isolating for nearly a week but I’m told from work I won’t be paid, maybe someone could clarify this?

• Maxi

No you have chosen to take unpaid leave 'just in case', so ask if you can use part of your annual leave allowance... then you will be paid for the time off ....

No only medical expenditure is expected.

"I’ve already spoke to them, they’ve told me I will not be paid. But I feel it’s unfair as a colleague who has diabetes is being paid during self isolation but because I don’t have underlying health issues myself I am not going to be paid."

And you think it's fair that your employer pay a perfectly able-bodied employee to sit at home doing nothing?   Get a grip, Sunshine.  

There are ways for you and your mother to self-isolate from one another within the same dwelling.   This is your problem, not your employer's problem.

ETA:   Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's not relevant or correct.  Have a nice day.

• Jeff

Ironically the question was asked anonymously so who’s the bigger *****? 

• Tavy

No in the U.K., I've got asthma and I'm in my 70s, I'm still going out to shop. I have not been classed as vulnerable. 

Sorry but you won't get government money.

• Tavy

I have not received a Doctors letter as vunerable people have. She is not vulnerable her Mother is.

If work force you to be off you get 80% of your usual wage in the UK but if they are still open and offering work they won't give you it, you can't just decide you are off and still get paid, apart from statutory sick pay at least or company sick pay if they do it.

Yeah, sure. And bonus money too. SMH

Hourly employees get paid for the hours they work.

I don't believe your coworker is being paid either.

I tried waving a magic wand to divine answers to what your place of employment will be doing but I wasn’t able to. You’ll have to ask them.