Why do we let our emotions control our motives?

Why do we get upset because of what another person say that we do not like? I mean words dont physically harm your body but why does that person deserve to be harmed because of something he/she said to people despised of them not physically attacking you?

I wanna say it depends on how quickly someone perceives something different or adverse someone else says as a personal attack instead of just a regular secondhand opinion. Because if someone feels attacked or threatened by such, you'll know because emotions will kick in with their actions or words.

Or just an intolerance of differing thoughts and such.

Because those who do so may not have a broad sense of self, so in turn when one directs an insult and the target on some level feels it must be proven wrong to the person or themselves, or must retaliate. Either way it's all about self development in my opinion.