Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 2 months ago

Will there never be a company as big as WCW ever again? Is pro wrestling dead?

I mean this section has been a ghost town for like ten years. 

TNA had its day before 2010.AEW is not really making that big of a noise. WWE is unwatchable now imo. 

I get bored watching the same old re-run matches from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Plus I know its past and today cant compare.

• You do know Jim Crockett Promotions came in existence in 1935? It had more than 5 Decades of History before it became World Championship Wrestling. Give AEW Time, it has only been around for a little more than a year. Boy are you impatient.

• Candle

I don't know if any wrestling will gain the mainstream appeal of the 90's scene.  Never mind 'will there ever be a company as big as WCW', start questioning why WWE isn't adapting well with the times.  I've said elsewhere that wrestling at it's finest reflects the culture surrounding it, and right now I don't think we have much of a culture to reflect upon.  The world's become a divisive place where music hasn't really changed in the mainstream for about 20 years now, nothing lasts on television, half the movies in theaters are either superhero movies or poorly done remakes, and two halves of the country are tearing each other apart.  We don't have the jingoism of the 80's, we don't have the rebellious lost voice of the 90's, and we don't have the hope for the future or sense of humor about ourselves that we had in the early 2000s.    We don't have opinions anymore.  We don't have taste or style.  All of that has been replaced with short attention spans, raw nerves, and glib apathy.

TNA didn't do jack squat, AEW's doing better numbers than it ever did, and the best part of WWE television doesn't happen on television unless it's Wednesday night, and fans have been so jaded toward how WWE treats it's NXT 'call ups' that AEW's actually beating the show in the ratings on a regular basis.

You could argue nostalgia goggles, but the truth of the matter is that wrestling's not int he cultural zeitgeist like it used to be.  Whether it's because we have nothing to reflect upon it, or the fact that CTE and thirty years of premature deaths have sucked the fun out of it is debatable.  Either way, no company is going to ever be WWE or WCW at their heights unless the outlook and style of wrestling changes back to something that can be universally loved and accepted.  The only problem is that everyone is too at odds with what they think are their beliefs that nothing can be universally loved or accepted.