Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 4 months ago

Singing question ?

Soo. I’ve recently started seeing a vocal teacher but am not allowed to see her for awhile due to the pandemic. I’m a 21 year old male. 

I got Some questions I want to see if people on here can answer.  

1) If I can hit a high note with my mixed voice, but it’s pitchy/sounds a bit off, can I work on that to make it sound on point and clear? Or is it unlikely? 

2) my teacher said that a good way to start teaching your self to sing proper is to imagine there’s a string pulling the front of your nose straight back and then that string is anchored in the back of your throat whilst singing. When I was with her I could imagine it and feel a healthy sense of singing but now it’s been over a month since then and I don’t know how to find that. If anyone knows what I’m talking about, do you have any tips?

3) My chest voice doesn’t go crazy high. But my head voice or falsetto goes up to whistle notes. Is there any way I can use this to hit high notes with my mixed voice?

I'm not a very good singer, but a) I'm very experienced and b) I don't let the fact that I'm not very good slow me down, so I'll try to help you.

1) Yes there is a way, and it's called practice.  Unlike any other instrument in music, your voice can actually work beyond its current limitations.  With practice, you'll be able to hit higher notes and hold them longer.  With even more practice, you'll be able to hit and hold those notes with serious authority.  (say it right, au-THOR-it-taw)

Note:  Everyone has a vocal comfort zone with their own low and high thresholds.  You have to gradually push those thresholds in order to expand them, not kick through them.  Singing outside your natural comfort zone will cause damage to your throat and seriously offend whoever is listening.  

2)  While it makes little sense to me, if it works for you your teacher's tips are amazing.  Singing isn't like typing or kung fu, because a singer has to do what works for them.  If a certain technique (or visualization, or whatever) works for you, even if it doesn't work for anyone else, it's good.  

3) Can't help you with that one, because I don't know what a mixed voice is.  I only have one voice, which does natural and a bit of falsetto, and I have no idea how to mix them.  I can do one or the other, but not both.

3.1)  If you're talking about hitting higher notes with your natch voice, or lower notes with your falsetto, go back to the answer to your first question and practice.  And when you practice, sing like nobody is listening.  Never hold back.  Holding back is the worst thing any vocalist can do.

OTHER TIPS: 

- Lemon tea with honey is good therapy after pushing your vocal abilities.

- Reverb, EQ and delay are your friends, but auto-tune is reserved strictly for posers and wannabes.

- Singing is 10% theoretical technique, 90% passion.  If you're singing a song (any song) and you're just not feeling it 100%, stop wasting your time with that song.  Dolly Parton isn't a great singer because she can hold a note perfectly for 30 minutes, she's great because you can feel her passion.  When Elvis was nearly dead and his voice was shredded by the booze and pills, he was still great because people could still feel his passion when he sang.

You can do that too.  You might not sound exactly like anyone else, but you don't have to.  Give every note, every word, every syllable everything you've got.  If you cover Seek & Destroy, you want your audience to have a friggin' nosebleed when you're done.  If you cover Tears In Heaven, you want your audience crying by the end.  If you sing Heaven's On Fire, you want people furiously making out by the final note. 

Go forth, and knock 'em dead.

• M.P.

You shouldn't have a mixed voice at this point, you're waaaaay past puberty and the age of 13. The best test for your voice is to take a pick up truck ride while singing your *** off. I had a friend who was in voice training in eastern Europe, his coaches put him through that to see if he could hold his notes and adjust them to the terrain and the bumpy road! He couldn't, very few people passed that test. Those who did were deemed adaptable and versatile enough to continue with their operatic voice training.