How often do you give your car an examination to check that is has what it needs to keep it running smoothly/safely? What do you check for?

i see no one in the comments talking about fluids?

basically i get anxiety wondering i'm not maintaining my vehicle appropriately and i'll have a God forbidden accident. 

last car maintenance i did was take it for an oil change, he also checked my fluids but this was about 7 months ago. 

thus any info/advice would be appreciated. 

how do u maintain/care for your whip? what is your schedule?

• james

Normally I wash my own vehicle once a week with a pressure washer. Wax if needed. At that time I check all. tire pressure, oil, fluid levels, all lights, Look it over washing it for any loose bolts, all. I think this is enough for normal driving. If on the back dirt roads or fording rivers it will get washed twice In a week as the dirt roads & river crossings can do damage. Also hualing heave loads out of the back areas or hauling supplies in. But just normal use. Once a week seems to work for me. 

• F

Cars generally don’t leak like they used to do people don’t really check  things as often as they should. Personally I check windscreen washer weekly and oil level and tyre pressure monthly . The rest get checked one a year at its service or if I notice something wrong.

• arther

inspect tyres brakes Steering and suspension every oil change apart of each system check is fluid levels just like it says to do in the owners manual

Personally I do a check every weekend, probably unnecessarily but there you are. I check all the fluids, (oil, coolant, hydraulic, screen wash, all the rubber (tires for condition and pressure including the spare, wiper blades are cleaned and checked, hoses and belts are checked for signs of aging, cracking etc.) Then I check all the lights. None of these are difficult or time-consuming.  Besides, it gets me out of the house while Sunday lunch is being concocted.

I don't go underneath any more so the brakes are checked by the mechanic and I know where I stand with these.

I give mine a a good look over twice a year. Mainly looking for fluid leaks near seals or gaskets. Wash the engine down in the spring time to get the salty water residue off of the radiator, condenser coil, engine surfaces as well as any residue from spills or leaks. Keeps the engine clean so you notice new leaks when they occur. I do check the fluid levels once a month and tire pressures once a month especially BEFORE I get on the Interstate for a longer trip. Tire pressures jump around in the Fall and Spring. They can drop 15-20 PSI from September to December or January when the temp's drop sharply if you don't stay on top of them. I always make a list of things to do, short term and long term. Immediate items would be coolant leaks, long term items might be something like a rear main seal leak that is more annoying than it is dangerous. A coolant leak can cause a whole lot of issues quickly if not addressed.

• do you take it somewhere or do the maintenance yourself, particularly the fluid checking? also could u recommend some beginner guide that a girl would understand so i can do that lol. a video, walk-through article, whatever

All Fluid levels, Air pressure in the tires, Wipers in good shape, Spare tire and Jack are good, Lights are working. look for puddles under the car,( could be a leak.) And make sure I have a can of Spam and a tube of crackers in the trunk.

I always check the temperature, if it's high, then I know my car has the coronavirus.

Wait? You're supposed to check things??? Someone said something about an "oil change". Maybe that's why my car sounds like it is puking when I drive it.