Can a "Delinquent Deposit Invoice" affect my credit and/or future employment?

I moved out of my apartment with my then roommate Feb 14th. I received an email addressed to both myself and my roommate a month later saying that we owed $1,100 for damages. We had moved out, handed the keys, were told the walkthrough would be done at another time because it was late for them but they did not reschedule one with us.That email was from the apartment's collections/accounting department. I tried to email the apartment themselves twice with no luck. Got another warning from their acct. dept. saying they'll send it to collections a day ago. Today the apartment finally replies back after weeks and says we damaged the carpet and there's pictures but I don't remember doing any of that. I'm currently on deployment and have been gone for a few months now.

My question is, what is my best case scenario or option? Should I try to negotiate with the landlord themselves because I don't believe we did $1,100 worth of damages but I don't want it to be harmful to my credit report for future employment in law enforcement when I get out of the military next year. I already have another apartment so I'm not worried about getting another place. I'm more focused on the stain and what is the real impact of it? I doubt I'd get sued for $1,100 from a collections agency as it's too small and this would be my first time anything like this has happened. Should I be concerned? Should I try a "pay for delete" or contest it with Experian or Equifax as soon as it gets sent to the creditor?

You need to ask them for proof of the damages. You made a mistake by not making sure you did the walkthrough with them yourself. You never just say okay and walk away thinking they have your best interests in mind. However, if what they are referring to as damage is normal wear and tear they cant charge you a dime for it, usually.

Anything sent to collections affects your credit.

$1100 is not too small to be sued.

You can try to negotiate but if they will not then you can only dispute the charges in court. The amount means nothing. They could sue you for $1 owed if they were petty enough to do so. Never count on a landlord not suing you for small amounts.

First ask your landlord to send you a receipt for the damages.  Then negotiate the $1,100.  Yes your landlord can take you to court and get a judgment!

how did you just move out 1.5 months ago if you have been away on deployment longer than that?

if you failed to take pictures and do your own documented walk through (without the landlord) you may be out of luck.

contact the local court and ask what the procedure is to dispute the charge.  most states require the landlord to send an accounting of damages within a limited time...and if you disagree, you sue for return of the deposit.

if it goes to collections, you dispute it.  i don't see a judge being happy with their aggressive tactic.  allowing a month to pay would be reasonable.

have you tried communicating with the accounting dept???????

$1100 is not a small amount.