promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Why do some  people whine for attention on their birthday?

Why do some (adult) people want attention and gifts on their birthday? Especially when some people spend every birthday alone?

Without so much as a text, no gifts, no party or dinner, nothing, all alone.

Many people in this world have sad birthdays. 

Are these other people needy attention 

seekers?

Recently someone I follow on social media whined how “she won’t even be able to go out for lunch for her birthday on the weekend :(“ with crying emoji

I’f  never be so need, what an attention seeker?

Or is she?

What are your thoughts on birthdays?

General question!

So many people of all ages are alone and isolated on their b’day and she whineslike an entitled teen?

She’ll be 34..

Update:

This has nothing to do with me.

Just asking why some people must be sooo needy and “poor me”

We are in a pandemic and she whines about her b’day??

Selfish!

Update 2:

This is not about me!

It is a question!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"Some (adult) people" just don't have much going on in life and a birthday is a way to feel special. Busy people usually don't put that much importance on getting a year closer to death. Truly, once one is 21 the only birthday after that that really matters is whatever age one needs to turn to retire.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

I cannot understand why adults - or anyone - make such a big deal out of birthdays. You don't have to do anything to have a birthday, it's not an achievement. You can't help but have a birthday. It's incidental to one's existence, nothing more.

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sounds like you resent people getting something you don't get. Some people have relatives, friends, a social circle that make a big deal out of their birthday. There is nothing wrong with people enjoying that attention, that expression of affection. There is nothing wrong with people noting that they miss the usual birthday doings when the usual birthday doings don't happen. That your own birthdays don't usually include these sorts of doings is no excuse for begrudging others the joy they get from such doings on their own birthdays. You don't have that joy so you want to take their joy away from them? That's just plain mean. 

If you want your birthday to be more special, then it's up to YOU to make it more special. Do something for yourself or don't do something for yourself, but stop with the resentment of others. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

cause they dont want to spend it alone, i get stuck alone a lot on mine too

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

"This isn't about me."  But it is all about you, Scrappy.  This bothers you to the point of ranting about it to total strangers on the internet.  Some people were raised to celebrate their birthday.  Others like me, feel this is just another day.  We're in the midst of a pandemic.  Does it really matter?

• 2 months ago

You do not know the context in which this comment was made and so you are assuming this person is deliberately seeking attention. Some people genuinely like celebrating their special occasions with their loved ones and this becomes an anticipated happy event. When that does not happen, it is inevitable some people will feel sad or disappointed, and are free to express this as such. Not everyone celebrate their birthday, and equally as many people do. Perhaps be open to looking at why you are criticizing/judging this woman for her post. Why does her opinion bother you so much? You may not celebrate your occasions, but this does negate the choices of other people.

• Fireplace
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

A birthday is not a "special occasion". It is a mundane fact. You were born. Well, so was EVERYBODY ELSE. What is special about it???

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.