Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Could I get out of a speeding ticket this way?

In fact, I expect I could avoid getting pulled over for anything minor in nature this way.

Say that I printed up a bumper sticker that says:

"Cops, I have coronavirus. Pull me over and I'll cough in your face."

I do not have the virus, at least not that I know of, but the cop does not know that.

And if I go through a speed trap, the cop will pull up behind me to pull me over, and then see that bumper sticker.

Then he has to make a choice: Is issuing a simple, routine speeding ticket to me personally so important to him that he is willing to risk getting sick with a virus that has the potential to kill him?

Because that doesn't seem like a very good trade.

Is it likely he would decline to pull me over?

You'd likely get messed with by police for even having that on your vehicle. What's more is that could be perceived as a threat to the offers safety and well being. I wouldn't do this if I were you. Unless you just really want a lot of un-needed trouble upon yourself.

• Bruce

It wouldn't work for me... I would just tell you keep your window up hold up your license.

Intentionally coughing in an officer's face would be a felony in my state.

• mokrie

You could face prison time for terroristic threats. Not funny and the cops would go after you because of it.