Luis asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

My parents won't let me go vegetarian!?

I have asked and begged my meat loving parents for months now to let me go vegetarian, but they won't listen! Here are their excuses:

- Humans were made to eat meat

- It is unhealthy to go vegetarian when you are still growing

- Meat tastes good (even though I am NOT a meat-lover)

- Other messed-up reasons to murder animals

What do I do to convince my parents to let me go veggie?

I had another discussion about this. How it went:

Me: Why are you against vegetarianism?

Mum: Because meat tastes good

Me: Just because I go veggie doesn't mean you've to

Mum: But we cannot juggle one food for you and one for us

Me: Why can't I cook my meals and my dad cooks your meals

Mum: Because dad doesn't like other people in his kitchen while he is working, and vegetarians are unhealthy

Me: Vegetarians can be healthy if they take B12 and zinc supplements

Mum: We are not buying supplements for you.

Me: Animals are killed in meat production

Mum: Humans are omnivores, and what will happen if you go veggie will be that less animals will be born

Me: Do you know how bad some farms treat animals?

Mum: Not all farms treat animals badly, and regulations about that are getting stricter.

Look, until you grow up and move out of the house, you will have to eat meat.

So that was a discussion I had with my mum about vegetarianism. Hope that helps. Also, is there a nutritionist around who can help me convince my parents vegetarians are not unhealthy?

What makes them think that humans were meant to eat meat, I wonder? The world's biggest incisors, for example are on the hippopotamus, which is a herbivore. However, their reasons are emotional: they feel a but insulted that you don't want to be like them.

Here are some general suggestions I make to younger teens in case you might get some helpful ideas from them. Ask to have a serious discussion with your parents about how they see things panning out in the coming months and years. It needs to be fairly rational, so if one of you becomes too emotional (e.g. angry) it would be best to time out and try again another time. Prepare in advance what you would like to say and ask: write a plan, even.  

As you reach each birthday, for example, or each new school year, what rights, freedoms and responsibilities will you have? Chores, pocket money, curfews, dating, etc. will all come into it, obviously. You can't really expect something for nothing, so think about what you can put into the family and household as part of your negotiations as to what you can get.  

If you are to grow into a responsible adult, it must be a gradual process: if they keep you wrapped up in cotton wool and then suddenly let you out of the box at eighteen, you won't have enough experience to know how to handle it.  

That said, your parent(s) is/are responsible for your safety and welfare during this time: no doubt they love you and they themselves have the experiences you don't yet. Seeing things on t.v. and hearing your friends' (exaggerated?) stories aren't quite the same.  

If they don't want to do this, ask them if they will please consider a plan and talk again in a week or so. All plans need to be a little flexible, as unexpected things can happen, of course.  

Hopefully this will show that you have a maturing attitude to your family and your life.   

Good Luck!   

• Luis2 months agoReport

Humans were meant to eat meat:https://time.com/4252373/meat-eating-veganism-evolution/, but that does not mean that not eating meat is unhealthy:https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/is-it-better-to-be-a-vegetarian

Look, get your facts straight. Eating meat is not "murder". Murder is UNLAWFUL killing. The slaughter of animals for food is LEGAL. 

• Luis2 months agoReport

But its unethical

Pay for the food and make your own meals.

• Luis2 months agoReport

I asked them if I could make my own meals - see the updates I made about a discussion I had with my parents.

If you're under eighteen  you're going to have to abide by the decision of your parents. The main thing to remember that until your eighteen, and/or out on your own, is that they have a legal obligation to make sure as best possible that you have as healthy a diet as possible. If they let you have your way, and your health were to suffer, they could legally held responsible for you health failing, and charged with neglect, and even reckless endangerment. In which case the could be stripped of their rights as your parents, and you would be placed in foster care, and they could even face, and/or be put in jail/prison. In which case there's the chance you could end up in a worse situation than what you think you're in now.

Now although meat and other animal based foods are a part of my diet, unless one or both of your parents are at my level of knowledge, I could easily counter their claims. However most people on average who like myself aren't dietitians, or certified nutritionists, don't know as much about nutrition as they think they do. I've spent a fair amount of personal time learning more about nutrition  than most people.

Now what I will say at this point, is that until you're actually able to support yourself, and out on your own, spend whatever time you can spare, learning about nutrition, and where to get all of the essential nutrients. However do NOT expect to learn all there is in a matter of hours, days, weeks, or even in a few months. You can learn some of the basics in a few months yes, however it will take longer to learn some of the more indepth pieces and parts, to try to make it work for you.

Your parenrs know best. Vegan and vegetarian diets are NOT healthy, especially for growing and developing bodies.

You can make garbage diet choices when you are the one buying your own groceries and preparing your own meals.

Meat also is NOT murder. Carnivores ans omnivores eat other animals. Its not murder.

Murder is the illegal killing of another human. Butchering meat is not illegal, nor are humans used.

Stop letting peta brainwash you.. They have their share of dead animals in their own closet

See if they will let you if you prove to them that you can still get all the nutrients you need from other foods. You can get a lot from animal products like eggs, cheese, dairy, tofu, legumes, that would be vegetarian, and would probably not cost any more than what your parents are paying now for groceries, Vegan, on the other hand, may be a bit trickier, as you would need a larger variety of foods that may mean a higher grocery bill on the outset.

• Luis2 months agoReport

This is awesome: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/vegetarian-diets-may-be-better-than-we-thought

If what you are saying is true, your parents said no. They are the boss. Not you. If you want to go vegetarian, you have no choice but to wait until you're old enough to be on your own and move out. End of story.

If it is not true, then stop lying and stop trolling.

And another thing: I don't care what you think. Slaughtering a farm animal is not murder.

Definition of murder: the unjust killing of an innocent human being in cold blood by another human being

Murder does not mean anything else. To misuse the word murder in order to push an agenda is wrong.

One more thing: If I was your father, I would not let you go vegetarian at all, as long as you are living in my house. My house. My rules. They're not negotiable. It would be my way, no highway option. End of story.

• patty

just eat the veges on the plate. Whenever u have to eat meat take a few bites then run to the toilet and pretend you are vomiting

just dont eat meat and if your parents dont like it thats their problem

Animals aren’t murdered you’re not very smart typical angst teenager I was the sane you won’t be very happy if people told you that your food was murdee I’m 20 and I eat meat now I’m not against veganism just preachy offensive vegans just like racists and crazy Christians

Source(s): Ana