promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Asep
Lv 5
Asep asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

Can I go to community college for the summer then go back to University ?

My University is charging me $2000 for eight credits i’m taking this summer

They’re charging me extra for taking the classes online (which is mandatory) and a transportation fee. 

Last summer I only had to pay about $800 for six credits. 

So would it be worth it to go to my local community college for a summer than come back in the fall to have FAFSA pay for my fall classes?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Talk to your university about this.  That's the obvious thing to do. This is NOT the place to ask whether they will accept CC credits.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It would only be worth it if your university will accept the credits that you plan to take at the community college. However, you should check with your university to see if you would be eligible to receive FAFSA aid for the summer. If you were eligible for a Pell grant during the regular year, you should be able to also receive a Pell grant for the summer, but only at the college where you are enrolled in a degree program. So, you would be eligible for it at the university, but not at the community college. If you didn't use your full eligibility for federal student loans during the regular year, you could also use any remaining eligibility during the summer, but only at the university. If you're a dependent student, your parent could also take a Parent PLUS loan to pay for summer classes. If you don't have any eligibility for FAFSA aid for the summer at your university, and you're sure you can transfer the credits later, then yes, it would make sense to take the classes at the less expensive community college.

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As long as those credits will transfer to your university and count toward the degree, then that is a wise decision.  We actually have a number of our students who do that.  

And FWIW, FAFSA is merely an application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  It doesn't give you any money.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ask your school and be specific about what you are thinking.  If the school has a process that is mandatory, as you stated, it means that there is not an alternative process.   They might think the government, history, etc. class taught locally is too easy.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You would need to make sure your uni accepts them, they don’t have to

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ask your college, we aren't your college

• 2 months ago

i dont see why not

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Absolutely. Take a few courses at you local community college; make sure they'll be recognized by your university (if your university is a state school, there won't be any problem) and make sure you pass them with a good grade. Then transfer the coures to your university. Youll have saved a bundle.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.