promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

Why do all laptops take forever to shut down?

Mine takes 1-2 minutes so I just stand there waiting for it to go off which is frustrating. If I leave it will sometimes not turn off so I have to make sure.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Is this a Windows OS laptop?  Understandable.  Windows runs many services (apps and programs) in background, and has updated files and settings in it from running just before the shutdown.  Many have to be closed, many have to be saved.  Takes time.

Mac OS machines seem a lot faster.  How does Apple do that?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Ben
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I always just close the top on mine when finished for the day and then it goes black. I guess you prefer shutting it down?

• Patrick2 months agoReport

Shutting down is better for the computer (or at least for the OS).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Let me guess, you use Windows. There's your problem.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have too many open programs which all have to close up shop for the night. Open your task manager and see what's running. If you have non-essential programs running they can slow down start-up and shut-down.

You could also have a dysfunctional program that is having problems properly closing. You could look to your event viewer and see what it says for that time.

Clean up your start-up menu with Ccleaner. Free.

run Ccleaner/tools/Startup

Delete any entry not essential to your needs. Do not delete any entry until you are certain what it does.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Not all laptops take that long to shut down. It depends on many factors like if the computer is running a background task and/or what storage it has (HDD/SSD).

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is saving certain data as programs close. A solid state drive and sufficient ram speed up the process a lot. CPU has only a small effect. Pushing the power button is faster, does not save or close software properly, and can possibly corrupt the registry. Issues would not be common on using the power off button, but cut be.

• 2 months ago

They don't!  It's taking so long because YOU are not closing down any running applications. i.e. try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del then click on Start Task Manager.

Click on the Processes Tab, then click once on a process that's running and left-click on End Process.  Do this with every Application that you can, then try Shutting down.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.