What is an epidural during labour?

I dont know if it's true or not but I've heard that you wont have even 1% pain while giving birth or having contractions...

What is it really and how does it work? 

And how does doctors give epidurals?

How does an epidural work? With an epidural, a small plastic tube is inserted between the bones of your spine, into the space around your spinal cord. ... A local anaesthetic blocks nerves in the spinal cord that transmit pain signals and an opiate provides further pain relief.

It is not an "injection".  It is a tube that remains in your back during labor and the anaesthetic dose is monitored by an anesthesiologist.  It does keep the lower half of the body numb.

It is common to still feel PRESSURE but not actual PAIN.  

Personally, I have never had an epidural.  I had my children without it.

God's gift to women.

• edward

They stick a tube in your back completely numbing pain. You should feel pressure but the pain is almost non existant.

• M.P.

I had epidurals with both of my births. With the first one it wasn't working, a specialist who administered them was called back to the room only to be told that it's too late and I have to start pushing. I went through live birth the old-timey way, eyes bulging, gasping for breath and pain-screaming with no voice for many many hours...!!! The second time I chose a different hospital, the epidural went exactly according to specs and I delivered my second child within a half hour and on a happy chemical high! Moral of the story: go to the better hospital - the one I delivered my second baby at was a bit more posh and had a few celebrities who gave birth there! (Hint, if a hospital arranges for post partum makeovers and photoshoots, it's a nice one, go with that).

Yes, they give the epidural quite early during labor now. There will still be some labor pains before you get settled in at the hospital, and some discomfort when you are pushing the baby out. But I was present at two births, and the mother lay back and watched tv for a couple of hours before giving birth- no pain. They like to show natural childbirth on tv and movies because it's more dramatic to have women screaming. 

• Murzy

An injection in the back makes the lower half of the body numb.