Emma asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

MY CAT WONT LET ME SLEEP?

Ny cat is 7 years old and he has a very loud and high pitched meow. He is also very well fed and healthy, HE IS NOT HUNGRY. Every time I'm sleeping, he CONSTANTLY meows over and over and over. Even if it's during the day and I'm napping and he's already been fed. He'll step on top of me, he'll sit in front if my face. I have tried literally everything over the years. First thing I did was yell at him/push him away. Never worked so I did some research and saw he might be hungry. I changed his feeding time to the morning and he would never eat it he would just immediately come back into my room and scream at me. Remember that as soon as I'm awake and moving around and giving him attention, HES SILENT AND FINE. The next thing I tried was ignoring him, 100%, for days each time he disturbed my sleep. That did nothing. Next was locking him out of my room at night. I did this for about a week and he would scratch the carpet through the bottom opening of the door and meow CONSTANTLY for the full 8 hours I was asleep. As soon as I went out there to see if he's okay, he literally stopped. He's completely fine, he just wants attention.  What can I do??

He likes the comforting sound of another cat snoring, or meowing. I would rescue another cat and see if they develop a bond and let you rest in peace.

• Emma2 months agoReport

I definitely have another cat lol he has a companion, he's just annoying 😂

I know you say that you've tried everything over the years, and I'm assuming that means a wide variety of things catered to YOU. I don't mean to be rude, so don't think that, but by waking up, giving him attention, you've trained him to train YOU. He knows that when he meows, he gets what he wants. And that's YOU.

So, a few things. Have you tried playing him really really hard, to the point where he's panting? Try it. Include this in your nightly routine; last meal, an hour and a half (or longer) before you go to bed. Play with him. Whatever it takes, get him moving and crazy. Do this for 1/2 hour-1 hour per night and see if that helps. You can also try and keep him up more during the day; play, play, play until he can't take it anymore. Keep him up during the day so he will settle in at night. Even if it's just a few hours at a time, you're making progress. If you work, or cannot be home, they make automated toys that will turn on at different times of the day when you are away to keep them interested.

If that doesn't work, look around your property for signs of other cats/wildlife coming into your yard. He may feel uncomfortable and is trying to warn you about something.

No? Ok, you say you've been to the vet and he got the all clear. Again, he has trained you to obey his every command. I would seriously consider investing in noise canceling headphones, a good sedative (so you don't move, but completely up to you) and let him yowl. This could take 10 days to a full month to work. You give in, he knows he can get what he wants, so he keeps going. Many cats as kittens all try the meowing, playing, being buttheads at night. As kittens, when they are ignored for 3-5 nights in a row by their humans, they give up and realize nothing works, so leave the humans alone.

I know, even you moving in your sleep can prompt them to perk up and meow again. This sounds like it's a behavioral issue that can be resolved, but with lots of time. Get the noise canceling headphones and leave him be if nothing else works.

• Emma2 months agoReport

I thought there may have been something I hadn't tried but thanks for the attitude, really helpful! Have a good one (:

he wants attenton you got it...thats all they want...non stop 24/7

maybe you should take him to the vet and see what can be done. Sounds as if your cat is very needy and this is not normal behavior. separation anxiety?

• Emma2 months agoReport

I've taken him to the vet for it and they say he's fine and that I should try all those things listed above. I've told him they don't work and he kinda just tells me to do all those things until it does. So idk what to do at this point. But you're right it definitely feels like separation anxiety.