Haya asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 months ago

How much mint extract do we need to use as a substitute for every gram of fresh pepper mint leaves?

Doesn't really work that way. The extract is strong. I'd start with 1/2 tsp and add more to taste.

• What are you making? How are the leaves being used? How much in total is called for?

Most likely, it is VERY little. Mint extract is extremely strong and mint leaves only give off so much flavor. It could be as little as 1/4 tsp!

I make mint ice cream with fresh leaves and it takes a couple big handfuls. Recipes that use extract seem to call for 1 teaspoon of extract.

mint extract is VERY strong. 

If your recipe calls for fresh mint to sub dried mint you would use 1/3 the amount called for. So 1 Tablespoon of fresh you would use 1 teaspoon of dried. 

To sub that for mint OIL you would use 1 DROP. 

Mint extract is not quite as strong as the oil so I wold say 1/4 teaspoon of the extract. 

Try it and if you think it needs more add a bit more.  Easier to add more than to make another batch of whatever you are making to dilute the mint.