I need out of a lease because my ES animal can not stay with me. How do I get out w/o having to be financially responsible until it’s rented?

So my emotional support animal can’t be with me at the apartment I am staying at anymore because the landlord uses salt that is making her so sick she is constantly in and out of the vets and it isn’t safe for her here. But I need her to live with me to even preform my daily tasks. But my landlord won’t let me out of my lease at all. Even though my ESA can’t be with me. Is there any way to legally break this lease without having to be responsible for paying the rent until they find another person? Because I don’t think it’s fair to make me pay if the one thing I need to live a normal life can’t even stay with me. Help!

Nope. Your fault, not his.  You can be held liable for the entire amount.

Tough.

No, you can not break a lease.  And an ES animal is not recognized or protected.  But I suspect you knew that.

• Brandon2 months agoReport

Yes I agree whoever left this comment is an idiot. ES animal you can have anywhere, without a deposit. Even if landlord says you cannot have a pet. Certified ES animal is a way around that, as well as around paying the pet deposit. 

You cannot break the lease due tot hat reason, not without penalty anyway. Not your LL's fault that you are having this issue. This is a personal issue that has no effect on your lease. The animal can stay with you. You just don't it to due to the vet bills.

Unless your landlord agrees to release you from the lease early - you don't.

Avoid the salt... and there'll be less issues for your pet.

• Judy

no unless your landlord agrees to let you out of it

An ESA animal is a PET animal, as in pet.  If you need a "service animal", then why didn't you ask your doctor about it?  If you do qualify for one, one will be trained specifically for you, to do what you are unable to do.  But that isn't the case, because you are doing fine, without one.  A lease is a contract.  You are bound by the terms and conditions of it.  You can't get out of the lease, if the terms in it do not allow for it.  Why don't you pick up your dog and carry him off the property, past the salt?  If he is too big, then walk him on the grass.  The landlord doesn't salt the grass, does he?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • A

if the lease said no animals, then you broke it and you will be responsible. Only service animals are allowed. If your dog is getting sick from salt, that is your own fault for not taking care of her and watching what she is into.

You cannot get out of the lease over this, without financial penalties. Read the lease to see if there is an early termination fee (these vary where they exist but two months rent is common).  If there isn't, ask the landlord about early termination when you explain the problem. If that is not an option, then you need to find a workaround for the problem. For one, winter is almost over so salting for ice should cease to be an issue soon. A post-surgery collar, aka an Elizabethan collar, is something almost any veterinarian can get to fit the dog. This will hinder them from licking themselves until you can wash their feet, and will hinder them from chewing at the foot protection.

You don't have a legal reason to break your lease.

If she chews the booties off, put an elizabethan collar on her while you're outside.    Or carry her off-site where there isn't salt (if she's small enough).

• Nicole2 months agoReport

She’s 50 lbs lol but I shall look up what that is